When I use 'overwriteprotocol' => 'https', I am unable to access Nextcloud locally

I installed Nextcloud using Docker on a Raspberry Pi. Then, I used SakuraFrp to enable access to my Nextcloud from external networks via various platforms. However, I encountered some issues.

Initially, the program ran smoothly by default. I could access it through the local web interface and even on my local mobile device. But when I tried accessing it from an external network via my mobile device, I received an error message, ā€œstrict mode, use HTTPS,ā€ preventing access to Nextcloud. After searching for a solution, I found that adding ā€˜overwriteprotocolā€™ => ā€˜httpsā€™ to the config.php file might help. After making this change, my mobile device could access Nextcloud, but now I couldnā€™t access it from the local web interface using the IP address. The browser displayed the message, ā€œThis site canā€™t provide a secure connection 192.168.31.24 sent an invalid response. ERR_SSL_PROTOCOL_ERROR.ā€

I havenā€™t configured any NGINX or other reverse proxies, and as a novice with no prior knowledge, I followed online tutorials to set up Nextcloud on my Raspberry Pi. Unfortunately, my attempts to access Nextcloud from various networks internally and externally have led to this frustrating issue.
The previous content was translated using translation software, so there might have been some unclear expressions. Please forgive me.

Have you used self signed certificats?

Normaly there should be some little knobs or links near that warning, that opens you a possibility to proceed ā€œinsecureā€ to the website: That is, because your certificates are obviously not signed by a certificate authority which is included in your browser.

I hope this helps.

Much luck,
ernolf

I tried using ChatGPT to guide me through the step-by-step process of setting up a self-signed certificate and NGINX reverse proxy, but it didnā€™t work out :joy:. Since I have no background knowledge at all, Iā€™m not sure which step went wrong. Do you have any tutorials suitable for complete beginners in setting up self-signed certificates? Thank you very much!

Please take a look at Nextcloud all-in-one. It might be better for you, since it comes with all these problems already solved.

Much luck,
ernolf

2 Likes