What to choose for installation NC? zip, docker, snap?

I have Ubuntu 16.04.
After installation Nextcloud with SNAP I’m not sure that snap is a good choose.
There are some issues with snap and I just started to configure it.

So for the best control and best/easiest configuration of Nextcloud what method of installation should I choose?
zip, docker, snap?
What is the advantages if installed with zip or snap?

1 Like

Hi,

Personnaly, I use the Web Installer on my raspbian and on my Debian server and it is really very easy to use and it work perfectly.
Last time, after the setup via the Web Installer I just had to upgrade ton the last version.

2 Likes

Correct me if I am wrong.
Docker/snap are mainly for developers. It saves their time to setup/maintain different environments so that they can focus on their real job. Only a few docker experts maintain a comprehensive list of popular images on Internet can serve all developers over the world. It is great.
For average user, the trade-off is if you do not do housekeeping works for your OS, you don’t have 100% control over it, including the time “when” user intervention is not avoidable.
For production usage, assume you setup a nextcloud server and expect it to run for three years then upgrade your hardware (means software migration). I wonder if one docker image can last that long. Can average user manage to switch images while keeping their data/config 100% unchange?
I choose zip.

2 Likes

It would be nice to have a howto article about that with all details. I don’t know enough of the snap and docker solution to say anything qualified about it. If you use the zip, you have to install and configure the whole server. But you can keep it separated, so in general it is not a big deal to move to a newer setup or upgrade the underlying operating system. You are independent of other developers who need to package and release a new version (we have seen this on NAS systems, the snaps were also delayed for NC 12 because of their special setup which triggered a bug).

There virtual-server images, they are more or less fully configured and follow the installation recommandations. It’s great for testing and getting to know the whole environment, if this is not your preferred distribution, I’d go with the distribution I know best. When I’m not completely wrong, you get a complete system, but all further upgrade must be done by yourself (Nextcloud and OS independently), there is no new image you just can upgrade.

NextcloudPlus, started as an image for RaspberryPi with some extra tools (start backup on extra drive, …). They extended the support to some other ARM boards, I’m not sure if or with what modifications you could use this on other systems as well. If you want to test or run Nextcloud on a Pi, then I’d go for this.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell you more about snaps and docker. The idea is nice to have a dedicated container with all the dependencies. However, I’m not really sure how it works with updates, if they apply security patches as quickly as the Linux distributions and how much you have to rely on their configuration (if you need extra modules for caching, you want to use a different database, …).

2 Likes

Snap is definitely not for Devs, it formed the basis for the Nextcloud box and offers one of the simplest install methods available… if you can manage with the drawbacks of a mostly read-only setup (so no tweaking).

I’ve always done the zip because I manage servers daily. The VM or NextcloudPlus are great if you’re starting completely clean though

2 Likes

Thanks to everyone!
I also made my decision.
Some issues with Snap (and I just started):

1. No pretty urls
  2. No smb

I choose zip

2 Likes

Maybe you wanna try:

Cheers!

1 Like