What other open source software do you use besides Nextcloud? Recommend something!

Self-Hosted Services

• Adguard Home + adguard home sync - similar to Pi-Hole
  • Kavita - comic and ebook manager
  • Minetest - foss alternative to Minecraft with massive mod community.
  • Jellyfin - Github repo FOSS Media Server. Free clients available for most major platforms: Apple TV, Roku, Kodi, etc. Think of it as roll-your-own Netflix with optional support for Music and Pictures.
  • whoogle search - self-hosted search engine “proxy” removing Google tracking and spam…
  • Keycloak - self-hosted SSO solution supporting SAML and OpenID Connect
  • traefik - cloud-native reverse proxy
  • Wordpress - Publishing and website building ( the world’s most popular website builder)
  • Proxmox VE - Complete, open-source server management platform for enterprise virtualization
  • Proxmox Backup Server - Backup management systems
  • Pihole - DNS blocker / Adblocker
  • Wireguard - VPN
  • Rustdesk - Open source virtual / remote desktop
  • Openmediavault - Network attached storage (NAS) solution based on Debian Linux
  • Portainer CE - Portainer Community Edition is a lightweight service delivery platform for containerized applications that can be used to manage Docker, Swarm, Kubernetes and ACI environments
  • Home Assistant - Home Automation
  • wiki.js - Wiki software for documentation
  • Vaultwarden - Alternative implementation of the Bitwarden server API written in Rust and compatible with upstream Bitwarden clients
  • Prosody - a modern XMPP communication server
  • mailcow: dockerized - open source groupware/email suite based on docker.
  • SearXNG - a free internet metasearch engine which aggregates results from various search services and databases
  • Jitsi Meet - a set of Open Source projects which empower users to deploy secure, scalable and easy to use video conferencing platforms
  • Tandoor Recipes - The recipe manager that allows you to manage your ever growing collection of digital recipes.
  • FreshRSS - A free, self-hostable feed aggregator.
  • Postgres - professional sql database.
  • Backuppc - An ideal system for backing up computers, a lot af ways to connect (nfs, ssh, rsync, samba, etc…). Uses deduplication and flexible son-father-grandfather architecture. Runs in our barn and uses power line communication to leech all computers that I have running in the house (NAS’s , PC’s) and in the data center (Ubuntu server 22.04LTS).
  • Homer and Heimdall - self hosted Dashboard
  • YOURLS - URL Shortener

Desktop Applications

• AutoHotKey - life hacking tool to ease everyday life in operating computers.
  • Freecad - 3D cad tool, to create your own (3D printed) (spare-) parts.
  • GIMP The Free & Open Source Image Editor
  • Joplin Note-taking app based on markdown (Onenote replacement)
  • Notepadd++ - Smart, versatile programmers editor.
  • InkScape - Create drawings and illustration, alternative to CorelDraw.
  • LibreOffice - Of course, what else does one need?
  • Thunderbird - mail client.
  • Transmission - Bittorrent client

Please edit and add more!

:bangbang: :point_right: Please edit and add more! :point_left: :bangbang:

5 Likes

OpenMediaVault, PaperlessNGX, Pihole, Homeassistent, CUPS

• Jellyfin - Github repo FOSS Media Server. Free clients available for most major platforms: Apple TV , Roku, Kodi, etc. Think of it as roll-your-own Netflix with optional support for Music and Pictures.

I’m really not a fan of Jellyfin, it always felt like an “also-ran” that was late to the party and didn’t scratch any itch that wasn’t already addressed. I use Kodi instead, it’s a lot more flexible and has a lot more extensions. (As a FOSS bonus, my media library is hosted on a FreeBSD server, served by Samba.)

• Wordpress - Publishing and website building ( the world’s most popular website builder)

It’s also one of the world’s most insecure. You’re probably better off going with Joomla or Drupal.

I also like:

• Keepass - Password manager that doesn’t keep your passwords on some foreign server. I just use my Nextcloud to make the database available on all my devices.
  • qBittorrent - Bittorrent client.
  • KiTTY - SSH client and fork of PuTTY. I like the fork since it has a couple more features PuTTY lacks.
  • LineageOS - Android fork that doesn’t have any google malware by default. I have it running on two phones and a tablet.

And since most people here are self-hosting…

• Postfix/Dovecot/Roundcube - Self hosting mail. You don’t need to have all your mail sitting on some foreign advertiser’s servers, handle your own mail the same way you handle your own cloud services. The same Let’s Encrypt certificate you use for Nextcloud can be use for mail.
1 Like

Jellyfin is a fork of Emby, from before they went closed source. I like it, especially the fact that it is open source, but unfortunately it does not run as well as Plex (at least on my devices). This is not so much because of the server part, but mostly because it lacks good clients on most platforms. However, as a Kodi user Jellycon might be an option for you.

For me, media streaming is pretty much the only software-thing in my household that isn’t powered by FOSS. I use Plex for local media, and of course also the well-known commercial streaming services like Netflix, Amazon, Spotify, Youtube etc, mostly on a nvidia Shield, which isn’t FOSS either.

On the desktop, however, I’m almost exclusively using Linux and FOSS software, so this would be a very long list… But I might post a list later on, that is limited to my self-hosted services… :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are many selfhosted stuff in my home server. Most of them are already mentioned in the first post. Few which I use but are not mentioned in first post are as follows,

PhotoPrism → Browse Your Life in Pictures – PhotoPrism

Pictures / Videos are backed up to Nextcloud via the respective iOS or Android app… PhotoPrism imports the same via WebDAV…

PhotoPrism offers excellent front end (gallery) for viewing / album management and features you may find in Google Photos …

Nginx Proxy Manager → Nginx Proxy Manager

It offers an excellent, easy to use Web GUI based reverse proxy (using nginx) for Reverse Proxy Management to get all those multiple selfhosted projects out to the internet. It also handles SSL for all those domains & sub-domains.

OpenWRT → For my router and WiFi Mesh Network (Fast Roaming)

[OpenWrt Wiki] Welcome to the OpenWrt Project

I have OpenWRT installed in my home router (WiFi 5) with mutliple of them in a Mesh Network (802.11R) for easy roaming across the house.

Thanks.

1 Like

But I don’t need it. As I said, Jellyfin is a solution looking for a problem. It solves nothing, and doesn’t actually offer me anything I need. It doesn’t even work as well as Plex for you, and you’re trying to defend it! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

While I generally favour FOSS like you, I do rely on a few closed apps on Windows, such as Foobar2000 and Editpad Lite. But yeah, when it comes to self hosting, that’s a long list and I didn’t want to bog down the thread either.

Here the list I announced in my previous post: (Should contain most of what I use at the moment and I have already added most of it to the main post).

Btw, for those who don’t know it yet and are looking for ideas on what else to self-host, check out this list: GitHub - awesome-selfhosted/awesome-selfhosted: A list of Free Software network services and web applications which can be hosted on your own servers

Infrastructure:

Production, used on a daily basis:

• pfSense CE
  • Pi-hole
  • Proxmox VE
  • TrueNAS Core

Currently in testing:

• Proxmox Backup Server

Selfhosted Services:

Production, used on a daily basis:

Hosted on prem:
  • Nextcloud
  • Vaultwarden
  • Prosody IM
  • FreshRSS
  • SearXNG
  • wiki.js
  • Tandoor Recipes
  • Mail Piler
  • Plex (Closed Source)
Hosted externally on VPSs:
  • Mailcow
  • Jitsi

Currently in testing:

• Forgejo
  • Immich
  • Photoprism
  • Jellyfin

Operating Systems:

Desktop:

• Arch Linux (Desktop)
  • Fedora (Laptop)

Server:

• Debian
  • Ubuntu
2 Likes

SuiteCRM

I like the mention of why people like different tools. Very nice since one size will not fit all.

• FreshRSS - migrated from ttrss after it discontinued hosting support. Vastly more flexible than nc news. Cannot use rss without filters and public sharing. Also, multi-user + integrations with other tools like…
  • Wallabag - keep offline copies from your bookmarks, rss, etc.
2 Likes

Domoticz manages energy usage and automated processes in my home.
PiHole
KeePass
WordPress
NextCloud obviously

1 Like

I just added a number of lines to the list, as requested…

20230702 added:

I choose foss instead of commercial s/w because of the troubles that one encounters with commercial s/w:

• Running updates that need extra payment,

• Arranging all kinds agreements

• Cumbersome install processes (trying to let me think that their software is very special end very valuable).

• Identities management, license numbers administration, etc

• Need to update to get a lot of unnecessary features

• Not allowing me to install it on laptop and desktop

Generally I donate some money to the community (Mozilla, Wikipedia, Freecad, others) once a year and click all of them away during the year (after adding them to a list).

Special comments are applicable for Nexcloud, LibreOffice and Freecad. It is amazing how much effort people put in these projects, to (as I see it) prove that creating a working program is not that hard as commercial suppliers try to let us believe.

1 Like

@balvie thanks, do you mind writing a little in a reply on what draws you to these projects. Thanks!

1 Like

Besides nextcloud, I am hosting with Docker a fair number of foss:

• I’m using Mailu instead of Mailcow, it contains all tools related to a mail server including postfix, dovecot, roundcube, rspamd, clamav, webdav, dmarc, …
  • Wallabag for a Pocket replacement
  • Calibre-web for an online book library
  • Wordpress (2 different instances)
  • kopia for backup management
  • Navidrome for music server
  • Portainer

And all this running very well on a single raspberrypi 4 !

I’m also using Joplin and Keeweb (a replacement for KeePass) with the files stored on nextcloud

1 Like

I use many of the above. Of these, KeePass, Kodi, Notepad++ are persistent companion!

Web hosted:

Installed locally:

1 Like

By all means. See above…

2 Likes

alternatives

Hi,

besides many of the suggested Open Source Software in the list, we also use:

Grist - a spreadsheet and database application (just wonderfull)
Moodle - doesn’t need introduction
we have them both self-hosted.

We also use Veyon to manage the computers in our school.

:heart: Open Source

1 Like

Discourse (that is what help.nextcloud.com is based on, so you’re using it right now). Complicated, but fortunately you can install it on any Docker-capable system.

Piwigo photo management. I’ve chosen that because it can import IPTC metadata and write them back to the .jpeg including tags (with a plugin). This is still far away in Nextcloud Photo’s.

Adguard Home + adguard home sync - similar to Pi-Hole
Kavita - comic and ebook manager
Minetest - foss alternative to Minecraft with massive mod community.