What is the supported PHP7 installation method for CentOS 7

I have wrote instructions for using remi with ownCloud 8 in the past. As I said I am not looking for “a way” but instead, I am looking for “the way”.

If NextCloud cannot be bothered to specify a supported method then I cannot be bothered to continue using their product free or paid.

I think the wording here is confusing us.

You ask what is supported by the Nextcloud team. If by Nextcloud team you mean the company then, well, if you have a support contract, ask the support team. Their answer will most likely be that they will support you with all three options. So they are all ‘officially supported’, if you pay.

If you mean the volunteer community, then there is nothing officially supported: your guarantees end the moment you download. Yes, the term ‘official’ is weird in a community, but when push comes to shove - you rely on volunteers so don’t count on it meaning much.

I think you’re looking for a recommendation. I personally have none but @James_Hogarth is probably the person with the most CentOS expertise on this forum so I’d follow his advice.

But in any case, as long as you have a functioning LAMP stack with PHP 7 you’re as good as it gets. I personally run openSUSE Tumbleweed with PHP 7, that is as official as anything

I will not accept a recommendation from a random community member. No matter how knowledgable that person is (no offense @James_Hogarth).

Just forget about PHP 7 and recommendations.

Your own documentation clearly says that a supported operating system is CentOS 7.
Your own documentation clearly says that PHP 5.6 + is required.

Those two things do not go together without a 3rd party change to the operating system.

When this shit storm went down a year ago with you at ownCloud, someone from ownCloud besides you, finally came in and clarified that PHP 5.4 was perfectly valid even though you said it was not.

At some point after that the same person from ownCloud posted an officially recommended method for installing PHP 5.6 +. I do believe is was IUS, but I cannot find that post right now, and it is also not relevant because NextCloud is not ownCloud.

What is NextCloud’s officially recommended method for acquiring PHP 5.6 +?

This is a very simple question.

Just had time to read your linked article.
It is a great read for those that need to make up their own mind between the options.

If I had to decide on a solution for this, I know what solution I would choose. But my choice is not as important as the recommended solution.

Maybe you don’t understand how the Community (and community app version) works? :)))

Why because they have bad documentation and requirements listed it is my fault? No that is not how things work.

NextCloud specifically lists these requirements. Yet they provide no official means of meeting them. This means their software is bad (which we all know is not the case) or their design is bad or their documentation is bad.

None of these are my issue.

I prefer to run all production systems on CentOS 7. CentOS 7 is listed, but so is PHP 5.6+.

These two things are mutually exclusive without a 3rd party change.

This is not my problem to resolve.

It is NextCould’s problem to resolve.

They can either change the documentation or change the requirements.

If the documentation did not list CentOS 7 as supported and even recommended, then I would either choose to handle the risk myself or choose another operating system.

But the fact is that it is clearly marked as not only a supported operating system, it is listed as a recommended operating system(RHEL).

Your website clearly uses the word supported, and lists RHEL / CentOS 6.5 and 7. These are not my words. You want to call it a recommendation? Fine I want a recommendation. What path does NextCloud say works here. Because there is no possible way to get PHP 5.6+ on CentOS 6.5 and 7 without something 3rd party.

As it is, you have a product that is unable to be installed on half of your recommended operating systems.

Do you think that PHP at CentOS7 base repo is maintain by CentOS team not “3rd party” PHP team?
Well
 NOT. Surprise! :slight_smile:
Every bug at PHP is 3rd party case.

But
 Do you know that CentOS is a Community distribution as well as Nextcloud is?
Where is your enterprise support now?
Did you see how many issues is at CentOS bug tracker? OMG.

Don’t do the lame shit storm, go to remi repo, install latest PHP and thanks him for his great job.

Or you can compile it by yourself. There is lots of tutorials at web.
Oh, no! You can’t install anything from “random community member”. What a pitty. Maybe try to run Nextcloud without PHP?

EDIT: Wait! If you join here it means you are random community member!
So, let me quote
 you – “I will not accept a recommendation from a random community member. No matter how knowledgable that person is (no offense @JaredBusch )”.

Meh. EOT.

2 Likes

It is simple, but why are you asking on the forums? There are only volunteers here and that essentially includes the folks paid to work for Nextcloud GmbH: none of us are paid to answer questions in an ‘official’ capacity. That we only do for customers. Sorry.

You’re using an open source product without support contract. So there is no ‘official’.

When our documentation says ‘supported’, all it means is that one or more of the developers (volunteers as far as the community is concerned) has tried it and it didn’t break.

3 Likes

Hello @JaredBusch :slight_smile:

NextCloud specifically lists these requirements. Yet they provide no official means of meeting them. This means their software is bad (which we all know is not the case) or their design is bad or their documentation is bad.

None of these are my issue.

Actually, it is. If you think there’s an issue, you’re very welcome to fix the documentation. This is how Open Source works.

1 Like

So I’m doing testing of NextCloud on Fedora 25 pretty extensively as it seems to meet all of the needs shy of being listed in the docs really well. Can I get involved in updating that part of the docs to get it listed? That would be great (and make me feel better about the time being put into the testing.) So far, it seems to run better on Fedora than anywhere else that I have tried. So I’d love to see that get an official stamp, even if I’m the one stamping it :wink:

3 Likes

abso-freakin-lutely! Yeah, that totally works.

/me looks up the right file

That one. You can edit it right away and make a PR out of it :wink:

Now wrt the whole ‘supported’ debate, looking at the documentation and stuff, it is a bit of a pita term, so I want to say sorry to @JaredBusch on that one. Eg if you see like “minimum supported PHP version 5.6” vs what distro is supported or recommended - that is all confusing.

When it comes to the PHP version, ‘supported’ means “we’ll ignore bug reports about stuff that isn’t working with older versions”, while with distro’s it is generally so that any LAMP stack with the right minimum versions means our contributors won’t ignore bug reports unless there’s a big red flag for that distro shipping something horribly broken.

So I guess that that is what supported means - and it is only applied to the bare minimum requirements, not to specific platforms, that is more of an enterprise thing. Hence no “this is supported and this isn’t” for the distro or the method of installing PHP 7: each is equally well accepted.

I hope this makes a little more sense.

3 Likes

Awesome, I’ll do some more testing and I’ll get right on that. That will provide a bit of the warm and fuzzies that I think a lot of us are looking for. Maybe I can get on Suse as well once that is done.

1 Like

And I finally found/noticed that farther down in the install documentation it clearly states that the use of SCL is the only recommended method of getting PHP 5.5 (likely copied from the old ownCloud guide). So that is the official answer, IMO, that I was looking for.

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/11/admin_manual/installation/php_55_installation.html

1 Like

How is that a solution? It is not for PHP7. We are still left without a recommended CentOS7 PHP7 setup.

OMG.

CentOS 7 provides PHP version 5.4 in its official repository

Command to install the EPEL repository configuration package:
    yum install https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/epel/epel-release-latest-7.noarch.rpm

Command to install the Remi repository configuration package:
    yum install http://rpms.remirepo.net/enterprise/remi-release-7.rpm

Command to install the yum-utils package (for the yum-config-manager command):
    yum install yum-utils

You want a single version which means replacing base packages from the distribution

Packages have the same name than the base repository, ie php-*

PHP version 7.1 packages are available for CentOS 7 in remi-php71 repository

Command to enable the repository:
    yum-config-manager --enable remi-php71

Command to upgrade (the repository only provides PHP):
    yum update

© https://rpms.remirepo.net/wizard/

@Therion7777 That is not supported. The official answer is that there is no supported method to get PHP > 5.4 except via SCL as SCL is what RHEL will support.

Yes, it supported! By remi!
Like Nextcloud is supported by Nextcloud team.

We have a contribution to the documentation that adds this support but it needs to be reviewed: PHP 7 on CentOS: Install instructions are updated - review needed