What is expected speed for login and edit a document

I have proposed Nextcloud to be used as an intranet solution for a group. There will be about 50 regular users and 100 additional infrequent users.
The Nextcloud is installed on a shared host. We have pHp 7.0.
reaching the site and login takes about 10 seconds.
Opening a 1 page .odt document takes about 10 seconds.
Closing that document and opening another takes about 10 seconds.
Opening the list of contacts (about 300 names) takes about 20 seconds.

All these times are a bit disturbingly slow. I wonder if this is the expected speed. As I have no access to the server I cannot tinker with the configuration. How much faster can I expect to get if I ask the Webb-hotel to configure the server (for a cost)?

I can set up a private solution at home on a QNAP NAS. I have fiber internet 30/30 MB/s. Will this give a similar speed or slower?

May I expect future versions to be faster?

All this is important for our decision of eventual choice of usinf Nextcloud as our intranet solution.

Roland

Which database do you use? PHP Opcache and Redis enabled? I suggest you should take a look into tuning your Nextcloud installation:

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/12/admin_manual/configuration_server/server_tuning.html

Thanks. The database is MySQL. It is a shared server so I have no access to the server itself and can not do any fine-tuning. I can probably ask the host administrator to do it for some compensation. I wonder if the times mentioned are within the expected and how much improvement I can expect from a fine-tuning.

What kind of shared host is it, and why not host it on a fast local PC if it is meant for Intranet use?

If you set it up to have most of the connections go through local ethernet or Wifi, the external 100mbit line should be more than fast enough for the occasional external mobile user (but you will need to set up a fixed IP or dyndns to get that to work).

For a typical shared host the waiting time you are mentioning does not sound out of the ordinary… repeated loading will speed up quite a bit as the browser will cache a lot of things, but yeah… a cheap shared host really isn’t optimal for running Nextcloud. Especially if you can’t get stuff like Redis working on it.

Edit: the Collabora for opening .odt must be running on a separate host, I guess? So that would be relatively unrelated. Contact list loading also really depends on your user backend… with Ldap it will be slow (but NC13 promises big improvements in that regard). With users on mysql and cached in Redis (= fully in memory) that should be more or less instant.

Krischan
It is members in an organisation living in many different places. We need connecting via the Internet.
It would be interesting to hear others results in timings for access, log in, opening a document etc when testing an installation over the internet. If my timings are very much slower than others can obtain I need to ask the host for fine tuning. If the times are not very much different I am not sure Nextcloud will be accepted by our users…

The times I mentioned for opening and editing an odt-file is using the included Document app.
I am not using LDAP.

This is not really good. Normally you should get a login within less than 2s. However, it is strongly recommended to use caching and also adjust the mysql cache settings. For this many users, you can’t use a hosting system where you can’t control all these parameters. To get a correct feeling of Nextcloud, I’d suggest that you set up a virtual machine at your place (use a normal Linux distribution). Perhaps try a few settings and test with a couple of users how it looks and feels (your home network connection should be enough for this purpose). You can already measure the network traffic and monitor the performance to estimate what you need for a full roll-out.

For a few tests virtual servers or something at your home is a nice start, for the final solution, it’s probably better to use a dedicated server with a good network connection. First servers start at 30€/month.

Please note that the collabora docker image has some limitations:

There is an alternative way for install which should not have any limitations (not sure how reliable it works):

Do you mean that it can be worth it to install NC on my NAS (QNAP NASE2190A with 16 GB RAM) at home and that this can give better performance over the internet than the shared server as I can optimise the local server better than the shared server? My internetspeed at home is 30/30 MB/s.

Nextcloud really needs a fast server. I installed it on several VPS and on most of them the speed was not satisfactory, while for example Seafile worked fine on all of them. Now I am running NC on a fast VPS with SSD (huge difference) with PHP Opcache and Redis enabled and am happy with it.

nomad
What do you mean by a VPS? Do you mean an hosted VPS at some webb-hotel or a really “private” server, at your home? The former are rather expensive and I could maybe getalong with my own “private” server or if the host on my shared server can finetune that installation for me.

I mean a hosted VPS. I am no expert, so setting up a server at home sounds too geeky for me - and too time consuming. I am the only user, so I only pay 3 Euro a month for a small VPS with 512 MB RAM.

You can get a fast SSD VPS with sufficient ram (wouldn’t do it with less than 2 GB though) with OVH (or Linode/Vulture etc.) for less than 5€/month, but you have to manage everything yourself and backups usually cost extra… the problem is that all these offers have quite little storage space (usually only 10-20GB) which make then not very suited for a multiuser Nextcloud install.