What happens if you deactivate or uninstall the app groupfolders?

We have several folders distributed over the groupfolder apps and permissions, the folders are well filled. What would happen if the app would be disabled and uninstalled?

Would the folders, data and permissions remain?
Would anything be lost at all?

Is it possible to install the latest version of Group folders afterwards and the folders and permissions will continue to work?

I’m using groupfolders and disabled and removed it already a couple of times. So far, there has been no data lost and everything has been available again after installing the app again.

1 Like

@XueSheng-NC
Then it is probably the case that the Groupfolder structures are not deleted from the database.

@Jack1
Can you explain why that would make sense? You should always get the version of your apps that makes sense for your Nextcloud version.

I would like to uninstall the version installed now and install the latest release 15.2 on it.

Unfortunately, I have no background knowledge of the app, how it works and whether it was possible without losing configuration or data. This has now answered XueSheng-NC, thanks for that.

Is there any restriction regarding already created folders and permissions if the app is simply permanently disabled/uninstalled?

I use Nextcloud 27.0.2 with Group folders 15.0.2 . What do you use?

I have never manually uninstalled and reinstalled any Nextcloud app. And I have been using Nextcloud for a long time and on different instances. New versions are always available automatically. I only click to start the update/upgrade process in the app settings.

Please post more details.

Maybe your Nextcloud is outdated. Post your Nextcloud version see config/config.php or https://cloud.server.tld/status.php.

Maintenance and Release Schedule · nextcloud/server Wiki · GitHub

@Jack1

Is there any restriction regarding already created folders and permissions if the app is simply permanently disabled/uninstalled?

When my group folders app got automatically disabled for 6 days (for some unknown reason), all data resided in group folders was still there in storage but unaccessible. However, users that had access to the relevant group folders previously, now app was disabled it did not show up in their Files app.

When app is manually re-enabled it, the groups folders appeared back into the Files app.

I haven’t uninstalled it but can’t comment on that, but according to XueSheng-NC it should be ok to uninstall as data still resides on storage.

1 Like