What are the requirements for notifications to work?

I’m running NC19 (Docker version) and having a problem with Talk notifications not working. Before going into a whole lot of configuration detail, I was wondering if someone could tell me if there are any particular requirements for notifications to work, e.g. connectivity to push.nextcloud.com, a particular port open, etc. This is not mentioned at all in the Administration Manual or anywhere else I could find.

The specific problem I’m having is that if a direct message is sent via Talk, for example from the web interface, there is no notification on the iPhone Talk app to indicate a message has been received, so it goes completely unnoticed. There is also no notification that I’ve seen on the web interface or the Windows sync client.

1 Like

Hi @KarlF12 :slight_smile:

Do you have the notifications app enabled in Nextcloud?

@ivan I do. It’s installed, enabled, and up to date.

The reason I ask about the network requirements is I block most non-ARIN addresses from connecting to my server. I have exceptions in there for a few things, among them being push.nextcloud.com and scan.nextcloud.com, but I want to make sure I haven’t inadvertently blocked something necessary.

Are you able to see the notifications using the notifications icon?

Yes I do, but I don’t think I get message notifications there. I do get Nextcloud and app update notifications.

When you are on the latest version try the following command:

sudo -u www-data ./occ  otification:test-push YOUR_USER_NAME
sudo -u www-data ./occ  otification:test-push --talk YOUR_USER_NAME

That should give you some more details if it is really pushing that fails.
However if you don’t get the notification in the web either, it could be caused because you have an active session in any tab for that conversation. In this case the notification is wiped immediately again and not triggered anymore.

1 Like

Just to clarify, I’m signed into Nextcloud on my Windows 10 laptop in Firefox and with the sync app, and on my iPhone (iOS 14.2) with both the Nextcloud and Nextcloud Talk apps.

This resulted in me getting notifications everywhere. I see the red dot in the browser, a popup from the Windows sync app, and I also got the test notification from the main Nextcloud app on my phone. Output below:

Trying to push to 2 devices

Language is set to en
Private user key size: 1704
Public user key size: 451
Identified 1 Talk devices and 1 others.

Device token:5
Device public key size: 451
Data to encrypt is: {“nid”:161,“app”:“admin_notifications”,“subject”:“Testing push notifications”,“type”:“admin_notifications”,“id”:“xxxxxxxx”}
Signed encrypted push subject
Push notification sent but response was not parsable, using an outdated push proxy? [https://push-notifications.nextcloud.com]: no reason given

This also resulted in notifications in the browser, the desktop app, and the Nextcloud Talk app on my iPhone. So I seem to be getting the expected results from the test. Although the notification I got from the Talk iPhone app ws “You ahve received a new notification that could not be decrypted.” Was it supposed to say that? Output below:

Trying to push to 2 devices

Language is set to en
Identified 1 Talk devices and 1 others.

Device token:13
Device public key size: 451
Data to encrypt is: {“nid”:162,“app”:“admin_notification_talk”,“subject”:“Testing push notifications”,“type”:“admin_notifications”,“id”:“xxxxxxxx”}
Signed encrypted push subject
Push notification sent but response was not parsable, using an outdated push proxy? [https://push-notifications.nextcloud.com]: no reason given

Since doing this push test, the Talk app on my iPhone will no longer open… It immediately crashes back to the home screen with no error.

I’ll repeat the push tests with my wife’s phone later.

What’s the deal with this warning about the outdated push proxy?

That’s a different issue that is currently being worked on by the iOS team.

But yeah so it seems notifications work, then I suspect this to be the case:

I’m half way suspecting the issue may be with my wife’s phone. The main impact of this is that if I send her a message, she doesn’t get the notification on her phone. This is while her computer is off.

So what I’m going to do is repeat the push tests with her account and see what happens.

So what do I need to do about it? Reinstall the app? Wait for an update?

10.1.2 should be available now

Hi,
Where could I find doc about using occ with “notification:test-push” as a parameter? I have some big issues with notifications (no push on my app, while notifications with Talk are OK, it seems to be not able to register and I would like to see if it’s possible to registrer (or unregister or event test if it’s registered) with this command line. But doc like
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/15/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html
don’t mention notification:test-push
when I
sudo -u www-data php occ help notification
It looks like I won’t be able to force register with this method, is there another way with occ ?

I tried to check like your told to,

I get
Trying to push to 1 devices

Language is set to fr
Identified 1 Talk devices and 0 others.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like