Webdav stability - need reconnect every time windows boot

Hello,

i have about 10 users on NEXTCLOUD and all of them are connecting on nextcloud by WEBDAV. I got windows 7 and win10 users and all of them have problem: After reboot thay need delete not working shortcut in MyCOMPUTER and add by command " net use M: https://mydomain.com/remote.php/webdav/ /user:myuser mypass /persistent:yes " nextcloud on drive “M” again.

This is very iritairing and not realy confortable. Have i something wrong configured on my server or how i can solve this issue?

server is running on Ubuntu server 16.04.
CPU and RAM are on 20% used, so lot of resources available…

Server version: Apache/2.4.18 (Ubuntu) + SSL cert from LetsCrypt
PHP 7.0.8-0ubuntu0.16.04.3 (cli) ( NTS )
Zend Engine v3.0.0, Copyright © 1998-2016 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.0.8-0ubuntu0.16.04.3,
Nextcloud version - 10.0.2 (stable)
{“installed”:true,“maintenance”:false,“version”:“9.1.2.2”,“versionstring”:“10.0.2”,“edition”:""}

I just know there is cache not configured. Can this make problems? “No memory cache has been configured. To enhance your performance please configure a memcache if available.”

I did try this but not help:

also
“SetEnvIf Authorization “(.*)” HTTP_AUTHORIZATION=$1”
also
for windows7 users: try to start the service “WebClient”, then it should work.

Nothing help so far.

And also from my LOGs everytime i cannot connect on webdav i see this:

Debug webdav Sabre\DAV\Exception\NotAuthenticated: HTTP/1.1 401 No ‘Authorization: Basic’ header found. Either the client didn’t send one, or the server is mis-configured

[internal function] Sabre\DAV\Auth\Plugin->beforeMethod(Object(Sabre\HTTP\Request), Object(Sabre\HTTP\Response))
/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/event/lib/EventEmitterTrait.php - line 105: call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 446: Sabre\Event\EventEmitter->emit('beforeMethod', Array)
/var/www/nextcloud/3rdparty/sabre/dav/lib/DAV/Server.php - line 248: Sabre\DAV\Server->invokeMethod(Object(Sabre\HTTP\Request), Object(Sabre\HTTP\Response))
/var/www/nextcloud/apps/dav/appinfo/v1/webdav.php - line 60: Sabre\DAV\Server->exec()
/var/www/nextcloud/remote.php - line 165: require_once('/var/www/nextcl...')
{main}

Sorry I have no solution right now, but I have the same problem and need a solution. Would be great if someone can help us :slight_smile:

Does it meen this is normal for nextcloud ? So nobody have working webdav ?

Peoples please help. Any solution ?

The native Windows webDAV is known to be a bit buggy but newer version are told to be better:
http://sabre.io/dav/clients/windows/

I have exactly the same issue. Waiting for any solution proposal, as I do not know anything about Windows webdav client internals.

What you can do is to check your webdav, if it is properly installed with help of litmus test:

If that works well, you have to figure out the particularities of the Windows clients yourself (special SSL ciphers, patches, …) or even consider other clients to mount Nextcloud storage like netdrive.

at least here it seems to work with Win 10: NC 11: WebDAV using Windows 7 thru SSL doesn't work

Hi. I managed to get it to work in Nextcloud 10.0.0.3. Set the webclient service in windows 10 to start with windows.
Users only have to type in their password when accessing the mapped drive after a reboot once, and they can access files.
Hope this helps.
Mikkel

1 Like

i had this exact same problem just mapping a drive letter to my NAS where the credentials wouldn’t persist after a reboot. the solution was to use the /savecred option. this saves the credentials into the windows credential manager.

can you try this and see if it fixes the problem?

net use m: https://mydomain.com/remote.php/webdav /savecred /persistent:yes

you should be prompted for your credentials which will be saved.

cheers, wizdude.

It solved for me. Thanks!

Sorry for reactivating this old thread but your solution does not work for me now 2.5 years later. It connects and saves the credentials but after a restart I need to connect manually again. The Windows 10 login window appears and the credentials are already filled in but I need to press the button login.

windows 7+ not support persistent basic auth credentials anymore.

A net use startup script that contains password is required , so i use powershell secure string to encrypt password

Worked for me to “Set the webclient service in windows 10 to start with windows.”

WebDAV in Windows does work but I found it to be really flakey so in the end I just switched to SMB and set Nextcloud to automatically detect changes in the file system.

I also experience WebDAV i n Windows to be less than reliant. I went with installing RaiDrive client, which works the way you would´ve hoped WebDAV would. Very pleased and have never looked back