WebDAV Problems

Hi, I’m a little new to Sys Admin, and I am setting nextCloud up on a ubuntu server at home. Partly this is a test to see how well it works (I may use it at work) and partly just for home use to keep our files synced between computers.

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 32 bit server on an extra desktop I had, selected LAMP and standard server software as options during install. Then I installed nextcloud following these instructions: How to Install the Nextcloud Server on Ubuntu - Linux.com

The admin webpage works on client computers, but when I install a client (OwnCloud’s latest on Ubuntu or nextCloud’s latest on Windows) they give me:

Failed to connect to ownCloud at …status.php: Error downloading …status.php - server replied: Not Found

I loaded that page on my browser from one of the client computers, so I know that works.

Somewhere I read that it could be WebDAV not working correctly or not installed correctly. I cannot get to …remote.php/webdav from a client computer so I suspect that is the problem.

I found this page for troubleshooting that: ownCloud Central
But it contradicts installation instructions in nextcloud manual.

What should I try next?

-Caleb

I don’t have much experience with the nextcloud snap package but my first guess would be to check if libapache2-mod-php is installed.
What does your virtual host file look like?

Helia, the directions he gives are for manual installation. He does talk briefly about the Ubuntu Snap, but then gives directions for manual installation.

Contents of /etc/apache2/sites-available/nextcloud.conf:

Alias /nextcloud “/var/www/nextcloud/”

<Directory /var/www/nextcloud/>
Options +FollowSymlinks
AllowOverride All

Dav off

SetEnv HOME /var/www/nextcloud
SetEnv HTTP_HOME /var/www/nextcloud

sites-enabled/nextcloud.conf is symbolic link to (I think) same file.

Would it be easier for me to wipe the server and follow the nextcloud documentation?

I dont have any data on the server yet.

-Caleb

oh I see. Sorry I read over the LAMP-server part.
That should be fine. The forum doesn’t show text that is in-between < > but I assume it’s the same .conf mentioned in te manual. The symbolic link enables it in Apache. Check if you enabled all those a2enmod modules mentioned. Especially a2enmod rewrite and reboot apache.

Helia,

I assume I am checking for php modules. I did that by running "php -m"
I’m missing:
mb multibyte (I don’t see this in the reposatory for Ubuntu 16.04, is there another way to install or is it the wrong module?)
bz2
intl
mcrypt
(I dont think I NEED the last three for it to work, do I?)

BTW I have php 7.0.8
When I run the command to get apache2 version (apache2 -V) I get a number of errors and no version info.

-Caleb

You can easily find answers with your favorite search engine: