Webdav extremely slow

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.2.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): OpenMediaVault (Debian 10 (Buster))
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.4 (fpm)

The issue you are facing:
Webdav speeds from my PC in my local network are especially for small files incredibly slow. Every little file takes at least 1-2 seconds to copy, move, read etc, for EVERY SINGLE FILE. That makes copying folders very stressfull. Testing the same directory via smb returns much better results, even using the nextcloud webinterface is faster for me, though not nearly as fast as smb.
I’ve set up a completely new debian system and am facing the same issue.
I can remember that webdav worked fine in the past, slower than smb, but with normal rates around 300-500mbit (35-60mb).

I am using. Opcache, APCu and a custom php-fpm pool config with the values recommended in the documentation. The sql-server is mariadb.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N):
Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. Set up your Nextcloud-Webdav on your windows machine
  2. Copy a folder of 1500 files with like 50-100mb in total

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

https://pastebin.com/bWLfyCe7

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

https://pastebin.com/vmcgq3TJ

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

https://pastebin.com/ig2eur3X

Let me know if you need anything else. Thank you.

The upload of many small files is one typical bottle neck. But there are ways around that, redis cache (to handle all the locking by redis and not the database) and the database cache settings.

I did a few tests on a raspberry a long time ago (Upload performance OC 8.2.1 (50 mysql queries per file) · Issue #20967 · owncloud/core · GitHub) where you see the impact of these changes. And there are related topics here where people shared their configurations for the db-cache settings, I haven’t any at hand right now…

So this bug seems to be known for a long time. Why isn’t there a fix? Tinkering around is not something I really wanted to do.

I’ve configured redis but it really is not getting significantly faster. It’s really slow, like 2-3 files per second.

personally I hit an issue with external storage app. other users found office integration slows down the system.

I would recommend removing all additional apps and check if performance is back to normal. later enable the apps one by one to isolate the root cause.

How is that a bug if you don’t configure your services properly to their use case? There are tools for the database (tuning-primer, mysqltuner) that analyse your use and suggest adapted setting of the database.

That was a bit the limit I hit on a raspberry pi 2. Question is now about your hardware and what kind of limits you hit during uploads. Do you see i/o-waits (if yes check a bit more on your hard disk, write speeds etc)? How much RAM do you have and how much is used?

1 Like

Hi,
Im getting the same problem with the webdav speed.
I have tried both manual install and snap on an AMD Laptop and an i7 2nd generation PC both have 18Gb of RAM.
I have tried installing nextcloud manually (ubuntu 20, apache2, php7.4, Mariadb) on both machines
and snap on both machines. I always get very slow upload speeds to nextcloud.
Using Goodsync sync software it will take more than 6 hours just to create 3300 folders, transfer of 4.5TB of data its saying it would take over 50000 hours.

This problem only started 3 weeks ago, prior to that the i7 PC was much faster than this.

Regards,
Dave

take a look at this and this thread - my tests with old i5 show fast transfers - close to saturated 1GBit/s network - but I test only client and web with big files.

try isolating the issue by checking which part of the system is overloaded.

Thanks for that, i will have a good look.
In the mean time ive tracked down a potential problem that my external hard drive is very slow compared to the laptops internal drive.

I need to get hold of another external drive to check my findings.