Web and CLI updaters fail at verification stage without error shown

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 28.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): 5.15.86-grsec-bnxt-focal+
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): replace me
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.2

The issue you are facing:

I can’t update to a later version (28.06).

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Yes

Steps to replicate it:

1. try web updater
  2. try CLI updater

When I try the update on the web, I get an error at verifying integrity.

When I try on the CLI I get thrown back to the command line at this point with no error generated:

[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[ ] Verify integrity ...[iad1-shared-b8-03]

To retry I need to delete the .step file (this is the case whether I’m trying again from web or CLI).

I’ve been running this for years, and never had issues when updating (which I’ve done many times). Hosting is currently set to PHP8.2, although it was on PHP8.1 because I have another app running on the domain (Invoiceplane) which needs 8.1.

I’ve tried running the update on PHP8.1 and 8.2, no difference.

There should be logfiles for the updater:

The Updater operates independently from Server so it has it’s own log file called updater.log which is located in the configured datadirectory for the instance.

You can check as well in the folders of the updater, if the new version was properly downloaded. Perhaps there was an issue, however, I’d expect a dedicated error message in this case…

1 Like

Thanks! I just retried it before giving up… and oddly it worked that time, but the info will be useful for next time.

So perhaps just a problem with the network, or they updated something on the download server and it was temporarily not available.

One possibility that comes to mind: The verification step requires RAM equal to the size of the current Archive. Which, for, v28.0.6 is ~213MB and for v29.0.1 ~231MB.

Both the available RAM >= and the PHP memory_limit config values should be at >= 256MB.

In permanently low memory environments, one can always follow the manual upgrade process.

This topic was automatically closed 8 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.