Using Synology for data directory with NextCloud snap. Losing my mind

OK. So as the topic says I’m losing my mind. I desperately need some help.

So I had 4 paragraphs of a rant on a soapbox written but I tossed it. Here’s the issue:

So I have a computer where I have ubuntu server 22.04 installed. I install the snap for NextCloud but nothing else has been done. My synology has a shared folder on top of btrfs. The NextCloud server automounts with fstab with this information:

//192.168.x.x/nextcloud /mnt/nextcloud cifs rw,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0770,vers=3.0,username=xxx,password=xxx 0 0

For this exercise let’s ignore my user and password being in the fstab. I’ll move to a credentials file later. For now I just need this working.

The system mounts the external drive properly and I follow the documentation from above where the folders need to be owned by root. I do all that and things look good.

I create my admin user and go from there. Still nothing even though I followed the linked instructions to the letter. the data directory isn’t my /mnt/nextcloud/data. The directory is still /var/snap/nextcloud and so on.

So I’m lost. I use the Synology to hold my media for my Jellyfin instance and that auto-mounts using 0777 (again ignore the security implications) and it all works.

NextCloud however, doesn’t allow that. I need the 0770 but nothing I do seems to make it work properly.

Google has failed so any help to rectify this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi.

FIrst of all:
Did you change data dictionary in the config.php file?

Second:
The owner of the data frolder you designates to this has to be the user of which runs your webserver in the snap. I think it is www-data, but I am not using the SNAP version so cannot test this. If root owns the folder, the nextcloud cannot do anything with the folder.

I did change the directory before I even installed NextCloud. I only installed the snap.

I was following this guide: Change data directory to use another disk partition · nextcloud-snap/nextcloud-snap Wiki · GitHub

Nothing seems to work. I pieced together an old laptop today so I could test and rebuild quickly. I’m still getting nowhere.

I’m really at a loss and I’m getting really frustrated. It should not be this hard to use my Synology NAS as my data folder. I should not have to buy a more powerful NAS to install NextCloud locally. I have plenty of spare computers laying around that can do that duty.

The system mounts the external drive properly and I follow the documentation from above where the folders need to be owned by root. I do all that and things look good.

• Okay so in addition to the folder ownership/permissions changes, you did the change to /var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/config/autoconfig.php and then restarted fpm? (note: autoconfig.php not config.php)
  • Did you do a refresh too as noted just before the very last step?
  • I’m assuming you also already did this: nextcloud-snap/README.md at master · nextcloud-snap/nextcloud-snap · GitHub

Thanks. I actually figured it out this morning.

Your post about the removable-media was part of it and i found that last night. This is all documented in scattered places but there’s nothing definitive. This is how I finally got it all to work. YMMV but if I deviate from these steps in any way it doesn’t work.

1. Install Ubuntu (or linux distro of choice that supports snapd) and update.

2. sudo mkdir -p /mnt/foldername

3. modify fstab - //IPaddressofsynology/sharedfoldernamefromnas /mnt/foldername cifs rw,dir_mode=0770,file_mode=0770,vers=3.0,username=xxxx,password=xxxxxx 0 0
    I have since moved to the credentials file for passing username and password but this was the quickest way to test back and forth.

4. sudo mount -a

5. sudo mkdir -p /mnt/foldername/data - make sure this appears on the NAS

6. sudo snap install nextcloud

7. sudo snap connect nextcloud:removable-media

8. sudo nano /var/snap/nextcloud/current/nextcloud/config/autoconfig.php → modify ‘directory’ to point to /mnt/foldername/data instead of where it it wants to go grab the environment variable.

9. sudo snap restart nextcloud.php-fpm

10. login and have it install

Now it all works. The snap connect command and the timing of creating the /data folder mattered for me.

There’s no needing to screw with permissions or access via chown or chmod.

Once I got it installed I then changed the port to something else so that I could put it behind my nginx proxy. that meant that I needed to add my URL to the trusted domains and then needed to add these entries to the config after the trusted domains:

‘overwrite.cli.url’ => ‘https://myURL’,
‘overwriteprotocol’ => ‘https’,

The overwrite lines are to allow the desktop client to be able to connect.

It’s finally working and working well. Was just very frustrating to get to this point.