User / folder configuration issue

Hi All,

I am planning on using nextcloud for an event next year.

I will print the QR code for users to scan and login to the mobile app, this works well.

I am sharing a folder to this user (called Event) for users to upload photos. I can then stop anyone accidentally deleting photos that others have uploaded. This all works well… yay nextcloud!

However, what I would really like to do is make the event folder the root folder for this user, so they don’t have to go into another directory before they upload. The way I see it I have two options at this point.

1. Work out away of making this shared event folder the users root folder, I don’t know how to do this or if it is possible?
  2. Forget the shared folder option and change the folder “permissions” for the event users root folder to stop them deleting files, again I can’t see how to do this…

So fellow nextcloudians, any ideas? Tips or tricks I could try?

Thank you!

M

do you only want to give users upload possibility or do you want to share some files with the users?
If the flow is in one direction only it might be easier to provide an upload-only share. this way the user doesn’t need to install apps, login etc. just hit the URL and upload the files…

I think it is not a bad idea to use a directory “Event”. I think it is more transparent then upload it in the root folder. After first upload a photo from the smartphone (Share, Android) the folder is pre-selected.

Is there a user for every person? Can you post your QR code script for login? I think it is very interesting.

For anonymous file-upload use webbased file-drop.

1 Like

Thanks both. I’d rather them use the app as I don’t think many people will go to a website and upload photos at the event, it feels a bit more “clunky”

It’s one user for everyone to use and I generated the QR code using the app password built in to nextcloud.

It doesn’t look like there is an easy way to achieve what I want. I might setup a file watcher and copy the uploaded images somewhere else so it doesn’t matter if they are deleted, unless anyone has any other ideas?

I recommend to check out Nextcloud flows :slight_smile: If you detect an uploaded file of filetype x, y or z, I think you are able to move those files using flows; https://nextcloud.com/blog/nextcloud-flow-makes-it-easy-to-automate-actions-and-workflows/

This way you can automate the moving, if it works to your requirements. Maybe worth looking into? :slight_smile: Best of luck with the event!

I have no clue why this is more “clunky” then install the app and upload than… today users are trained to use websites - for me personally it’s better to upload selected photos I want rather install an app which might share something I don’t want

For me… Scan a QR which installs and configures an app that you can then either use the camera directly in or upload existing photos feels easier than having to open a web page (possibly having to re-enter the URL as you closed the tab) perhaps 5 or 6 times during the day and then uploading.

Hadn’t looked at flows, thanks for the tip! It might be I can set the files to be read only as soon as they are uploaded so no one can delete them!

1 Like