Useful Trick: Nextcloud and French hosting 1&1 how to avoid the limit

I installed Nextcloud on shared hostings at 1&1.com and everything worked fine for nearly a year
Until one day I couldnā€™t upload anymore stuff

I called 1&1 and they told me I reached the limit
The plan Iā€™ve got said it was ā€œunlimited weh hosting spaceā€ but in fact they meant maximum 2TB data and not more than 262.000 files

I still had a long way to reach the 2TB
But I hit the 262.000 files ! :open_mouth:

Thatā€™s quite a number
I looked into my files and it appeared a lot of them were from backups Nextcloud created

I managed to delete nearly 100.000 files just by connecting through FTP and Filezilla :

• nextcloud/data and then delete old backup versions I didnā€™t want anymore in theses files :
  • ownbackup
  • updater-ocdataXXXX (XXX is your number I presume)

Some version backup contained more thanā€¦ 20.000 files !

I will surely come back now that I know to erase previous backups, letting only the last one in

QUESTION : If someone knows how to program Nextcloud to do this automatically, I would be happy to hear it ! :wink:

Thanks Nextcloud, keep up the good work !

You can disable the versions app and the deleted files app.

1 Like

that calls for a cron jobā€¦

better solution would be if ownbackup-app would offer a option on how to keep backups (how long, how much, etc) and updater could purge automatically everything after successful installation

To advertise something as ā€œunlimitedā€ but still limiting it anyway, is this still allowed?

2 Likes

Yes it is legal because they say it within their General Terms and Conditions when you buy the productā€¦ ^^

Thanks for you answers, I dealt with ownbackup and Versions apps and it seems to work

For safety reasons, instead of removing versions and deleted files app, I would better enable/reduce the retention time: https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/13/admin_manual/configuration_server/config_sample_php_parameters.html#deleted-items-trash-bin

Nice would be as well a maximum amount of versions for each file, but a max time might also keep the amount in borders.

1 Like