Use RDS with NextCloud Server

hello guys :slight_smile:

i was looking through the web about how to connect NextCloud to S3 and i found it over here i even found some topics on the forums explain how to do that, which is great.

but my solution also depend on Amazon RDS, i didn’t find much about it, so how to configure RDS to be the primary NextCloud database ? (in the same manner of S3 for example S3 configuration was to be made before even creating an admin user, that i saw on the forum) and if its possible, what are the DBs that are supported by NextCloud?
many thanks

UPDATE: i tried to connect the NextCloud to the Amazon RDS but didn’t work :frowning: at the beginning i installed the NextCloud following the NextCloud installation but i didn’t install mariadb-server since i already have my DB which is the RDS, PHP 7 is installed, and php7.0-mysql is also installed, and mysql pdo is enabled, if i run sudo php --ini i have
/etc/php/7.0/cli/conf.d/20-pdo_mysql.ini,
and if i run the command: sudo php -m i have
pdo_mysql , that means both are enabled
and at my config file i have the following

<?php
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'dbname' => 'dmname',
  'dbhost' => '**********.rds.amazonaws.com:port-number',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => '********',
  'dbpassword' => '********',
  'installed' => false,

i even tried the config

<?php
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '12.0.4.3',
  'dbname' => 'dbname',
  'dbhost' => 'http://**********.rds.amazonaws.com',
  'dbport' => 'port-number',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => '********',
  'dbpassword' => '********',
  'installed' => true,

yet i keep getting the exception

{"reqId":"jUI5gpnDa3jRzK9N4crh","level":3,"time":"2018-01-29T12:43:01+00:00","remoteAddr":"194.165.136.114","user":"--","app":"PHP","method":"GET","url":"\/nextcloud\/index.php","message":"Doctrine\\DBAL\\DBALException: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occured in driver: could not find driver at \/var\/www\/nextcloud\/lib\/private\/DB\/Connection.php#61","userAgent":"Mozilla\/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit\/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome\/63.0.3239.132 Safari\/537.36","version":""}

and i even installed mariaDB, mariadb-server
yet the same problem keeps coming, what could be wrong?

UPDATE 2
i ran the command on the server’s terminal and i was able to connect to the RDS from the server itself, meaning nothing is blocking the RDS within the server
the command is: mysql -u username -h *******.rds.amazonaws.com -p

and the response was like the following:

Enter password:
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is ***
Server version: 10.1.26-MariaDB MariaDB Server

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

when installing the NextCloud server from snap and when entering the ip address in the browser, you will have the page where you should create an admin username and password, but when installing NextCloud manually in the same page in the browser you will have four text boxes below for DB information, enter the
RDS username, RDS password, DB name and the DNS for the RDS

1 Like