Use federation as backup or mirror?

I wonder if federation can be used to create kind of a mirror-server? My idea is to share all folders from one server to another. Will the data remain on the second server if the 1st server breaks? Can this second server take over or used for restoring data?

The Data is only linked, no files are transfered when sharing, federation or otherwise, so this is not a solution for your usecase i´m afraid.

I would suggest a ‘normal’ Backup solution, there are tons of possibilities on this front.

OK

Thanks. I should have understodd that the actual files recided at the original server.

R

Den torsdag 9 januari 2020 13:32:27 CET, Gerald Buttinger via Nextcloud community noreply@nextcloud.com skrev:

Ascendancer

January 9

The Data is only linked, no files are transfered when sharing, federation or otherwise, so this is not a solution for your usecase i´m afraid.

I would suggest a ‘normal’ Backup solution, there are tons of possibilities on this front.

@rollanders please mind marking the topic as solved then. Glad i could help.

@rollanders here is the feature request for mirroring federated storage locally. Feel free to give it a thumbs up or increase the bounty amount.