Use database from previous installation in fresh installation

My current installation of Nextcloud (20.0.5) became inaccessible when I enabled the Extractor app. Thankfully my database is still intact.

Can I do a fresh install of V20.0.9 or V21.0.x and import the existing database into the new installation?

Many thanks

Patrick

@DoctorP you can do a fresh install, backup your config.php file , data directory and database before do this. Backup β€” Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation
For a manual installation( not docker/snap):

• rename your nextcloud folder
  • download and unzip the nex nextcloud folder
  • copy your config.php ( /…/nextcloud/config.config.php) file into the new folder ( same path)
  • you can copy the apps if you want ( if not you can to add them with the web page)
  • give the correct permissions to the new folder
  • restart your apache/nginx
1 Like

Hi DoctorP,

when you say it became inaccessible like do you see a Internal error server or something like that?? you may be able to save your nextcloud installation by deleting this app inside your nextcloud installation. Usually apps installed ar located under custom_apps. You can go inside there and delete the app you installed. This happened to me back then and after delete the app, my nextcloud was accessible again.
And to answer you question, just incase you are using docker, then you can just copy your old database and paste it to the new one. I have done this many times and it works.

I hope this helps

1 Like

Hi Mageunic:

Thanks for the prompt reply. My existing Nextcloud installation is V20.0.5. Do I have to start from the same version? I tried to install V20.0.9 but got an Internal Server Error.

Thanks

P

Hi Cyrus:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

The Extractor app is buried deep inside the 3rdparty folder (…/nextcloud/3rdparty/symfony/translation/Extractor.

Can I just delete that directory? I’m wondering if there’s a setting somewhere inside NC that shows Extractor is enabled.

Thanks again.

Patrick

@DoctorP no, you have to use the same versions of nextcloud and after you can upgrade it.

1 Like

@Mageunic Everything is back up and running now. Thanks for your assistance.

DrP

2 Likes