Upgrading from 23 to 25

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 23.0.0.10
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): latest official docker
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): latest official docker
PHP version (eg, 7.4): latest official docker

The issue you are facing:

After some years I tried to update my nextcloud instance.
I’m running nextcloud by a docker-compose script.
Specifically, I run

docker-compose pull
docker-compose up -d

Now I have the instance in maintenence mode.
I exited from maintenence mode using occ in the container and the upgrade to version 25 is proposed on the web browser. The problem is that it fails because I’m running version 23.0.0.10 (as I can see using occ).
How should I solve my problem now?
Thanks for help.

Ivan

Skipping major versions in an upgrade is not supported. You would need to upgrade to NC 24 first by using the appropriate Docker image tag (e.g. image: nextcloud:24).

Thanks for replying!
I tried upgrading to 24 usign the image nextcloud:24, but in that case the container continuously restart.
Have you got any idea?

Ivan

Run docker compose logs to see if there’s some error. It may be safer to restore from backup to version 23 if it’s really broken.

Find the logs below.

[ERROR] Incorrect definition of table mysql.column_stats: expected column 'histogram' at position 10 to have type longblob, found type varbinary(255).
[ERROR] Incorrect definition of table mysql.column_stats: expected column 'hist_type' at position 9 to have type enum('SINGLE_PREC_HB','DOUBLE_PREC_HB','JSON_HB'), found type enum('SINGLE_PREC_HB','DOUBLE_PREC_HB').

Maybe the database has been upgraded and not the application?

Ivan

[EDIT]
I solved these errors using the solution in

Now I obtain the following error in logs.

app_1  | Can't start Nextcloud because the version of the data (25.0.3.2) is higher than the docker image version (24.0.9.2) and downgrading is not supported. Are you sure you have pulled the newest image version?

[EDIT 2]
I managed the last issue using the solution at:

Now I’m manually upgrading to 24.

[EDIT 3]
Now the upgrade to 25 went flawless.
Thanks for helping!