Upgrade screen 20→21 shows confusing info and does not start upgrade

[details=“Support intro”]

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 20.0.8
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 10
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 7.3

When I go to the updater screen I immediately see the following:

Noting that all the stages are alredy ticked ➊ and that clicking Continue ➋ just immediately hides the button and shows “Go Back to your Nextcloud instance to finish the update” button at the bottom, and clicking that takes me straight back to the dashboard.

Upgrades used to be so reliable but in the last year or so they’ve been problematic (mostly, I think, to do with the poor network availability of the NC servers that provide access to the code downloads) and needed command line intervention.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

I can’t see anything that looks relevant - all look like deprecation warnings. No error level logs.

# Lots of [debug] lines like this:
appinfo/app.php is deprecated, use \OCP\AppFramework\Bootstrap\IBootstrap on the application class instead.
# Also a few others:
Deprecated event type for OCP\IPreview:PreviewRequested: Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\GenericEvent is used
Deprecated event type for {"[object] (OCP\SabrePluginEvent)":{"*statusCode":200,"*message":"","*server":{"[object] (OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\Server)":{"tree":"[object] (OCA\DAV\Connector\Sabre\ObjectTree)","*baseUri":"/remote.php/webdav/","httpResponse":"[object] (Sabre\HTTP\Response)","httpRequest":"[object] (Sabre\HTTP\Request)","sapi":"[object] (Sabre\HTTP\Sapi)","*plugins":[],"transactionType":null,"protectedProperties":{"...":"Over 20 items, aborting normalization"},"debugExceptions":false,"resourceTypeMapping":[],"enablePropfindDepthInfinity":true,"xml":"[object] (Sabre\DAV\Xml\Service)","*listeners":{"...":"Over 20 items, aborting normalization"},"*wildcardListeners":[],"*listenerIndex":[],"*logger":null}},"Symfony\Contracts\EventDispatcher\EventpropagationStopped":false}}: null
Deprecated event type for OCP\IDBConnection::CHECK_MISSING_COLUMNS: Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\GenericEvent is used
Deprecated event type for OCP\IDBConnection::CHECK_MISSING_INDEXES: Symfony\Component\EventDispatcher\GenericEvent is used

@artfulrobot have you try to launch the upgrade with the command line?

no, I’ll give that a go.

@artfulrobot which type of installation do you use ? ( docker ? snap? manual installation ? )

It’s manually installed. When running occ upgrade I get:

sudo -u nc-www php ./occ upgrade
Nextcloud is already latest version

Which contrasts with the Admin overview screen:

Nextcloud 20.0.8
A new version is available: Nextcloud 21.0.1

@artfulrobot try this sudo -u www-data php /var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar

Thanks @Mageunic but that process gives the same experience as the web based one:

Nextcloud Updater - version: v20.0.0beta4-11-g68fa0d4

Current version is 20.0.8.

Update to Nextcloud 21.0.1 available. (channel: "stable")
Following file will be downloaded automatically: https://download.nextcloud.com/server/releases/nextcloud-21.0.1.zip   
Open changelog ↗

Steps that will be executed:
[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[✔] Verify integrity
[✔] Extracting
[✔] Enable maintenance mode
[✔] Replace entry points
[✔] Delete old files
[✔] Move new files in place
[✔] Done

Continue update? [y/N] y

Info: Pressing Ctrl-C will finish the currently running step and then stops the updater.                               

[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[✔] Verify integrity
[✔] Extracting
[✔] Enable maintenance mode
[✔] Replace entry points
[✔] Delete old files
[✔] Move new files in place
[✔] Done

Update of code successful.

Should the "occ upgrade" command be executed? [Y/n]
Nextcloud is already latest version

Keep maintenance mode active? [y/N] N
Maintenance mode already disabled

Maintenance mode is disabled

(at the end of this: we’re still on NC 20)

@artfulrobot this is really strange…
If you want you can do the real manually upgrade : Upgrade manually — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation

yiesh, I’d rather not! (But thanks for the reminder.) I wonder if there’s some cached files somewhere that need removing, perhaps left over from a previous upgrade.

@artfulrobot how many time your server is running ( how many upgrades have you done ?)
Inside your data directory there is a folder name updater-xxxxx inside there is backup and download made by the updater.

@Mageunic I’ve been running a few years, not sure when I started it.

The updater-xxx/backup has three:

nextcloud-20.0.2.2-1608212402 nextcloud-20.0.4.0-1611758787 nextcloud-20.0.6.1-1614671988

I also found .step and .step-previous-update in there: which contain

{"state":"end","step":12}

and

{"state":"end","step":10}

perhaps I should delete those?

1 Like

@artfulrobot i don’t have .step and .step-previous-update file in my backup folder

Maybe move them in other folder ( for backup) and remove them from the backup folder.

1 Like

@Mageunic after removing those .step files the upgrade ran through ok! Thanks for helping me :slight_smile:

1 Like

oh, thanks for this, i am now thinking this might fix my issue too. (on update page, shows 'already active in step 5" sorta thing. Im gonna have to look thru and see if its stuck on steps.
Edit I have a memory problem (mine not system) where is the data file accessible from? I seem to be having trouble finding it. (actually found it but i cant get into it.) (im going to go from a backup i made just before the update, so this is Moot)

I kept having this issue since this upgrade, and was just removing the .step file, so let’s see if removing the .step AND the .step-previous-update will fix this for good! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like