Upgrade from 20.0.8 to 20.0.9 just ran through to 21.0.1 (?)

Hello there,

Don’t worry, nobody is going to respond to you. I’ve been waiting for a response for more than three weeks and now I’ve abandoned the NextCloud project. Thanks to the team for making this.

Regards, Kums

The same for me …

Hi there,
Yes, happened the same. I only worried because I have an old notes app that have been trying to make work through versions and was afraid that it may stop working but it worked anyway so I didn’t make a big deal out of it. But yes, I used the web upgrade, was promised 20.0.9, but ended on 21.0.1, so I can confirm what you say.
Best
Leo

backup is all well and good, but the web updater says it’s making a backup every time. is that just… nothing? it holds your hand by automatically “creating a backup” but not in telling you how useful the backup will or won’t be or how to actually utilize it. certainly it doesn’t offer to restore it for you at any point that i’ve seen. i have no idea what its purpose is.

and after the unexpected update to 21, i got a cheery message about how essential add-ons like group folders and deck aren’t compatible. fortunately, this was not true and there were updates for those, so i’m not sure why it was necessary for the updater to share that out-of-date information after sneaking in an upgrade i didn’t even want.

anyway, i ended up doing a zfs rollback, but that won’t be an option for everyone. then, i changed the update channel to beta, which let me actually update to 20.0.9. then back to stable.

hope this truly is fixed now.

Yes, it’s working now, upgraded two installations successfully, which previously failed.

Same here. Because my hoster uses MySQL 5.7 I had an eye on the available update (stable channel). It said 20.0.9 so I hit update. Maybe the downloaded file may have show as 21.0.1., I don’t remember.

I rolled back the database and used the backup to 20.0.8.

Even more confusing: In the terminal I tried:
$ php7.2 updater/updater.phar and it showed:
[…] Update to Nextcloud 20.0.9 available. (channel: “stable”) […]

with $ php7.4 updater/update.phar it came up with
[…] Update to Nextcloud 21.0.1 available. (channel: “stable”) […]

but in any case the download was 21.0.1. If you overlook the filename you’ll end up with v21

So I manually download 20.0.9 und startet the updater from step 5. Now I’m on 20.0.9.

Cheers,
Thomas

This is exactly what happened to me. I intended to update to 20.0.9 when to upgrade process and ended up with 21.0.1. I had to deal with warnings in the Admin Summary again, but eventually had them resolved and so far it’s up and running smoothly.

Thankfully it did not happen to me, I used the web updater and got 20.0.9. Good thing too since my system has PHP and MariaDB versions that aren’t compatible with anything over 20 so I’ll have to update those separately first.

Nextcloud 21.0.1 is really sad bump on the Nextcloud journey.
I am really surprised that all communication from the Nextcloud about v21 is that they have worked on performance improvement etc.

After upgrading to 21.0.1 we are experiencing files not in sync, talk is not stable, collectives seems more as a prototype than a stable feature etc.

It is really sad. Lets cross fingers that there will be an update in near future.

This is also my experience of NC 21.0.1 . Unfortunately, I see it the same way. Hopefully there will be quick fixes

Happened on my 2 Systems 2… i used webupdate since 2 years or so - but never had that problem - this has to be solved otherwise lots of people could run into problems when their system and their used apps are not working well on the new system!

Yeah, they overhyped the heck out of the “performance improvements”, which only actually impact the delivery of notifications to clients and won’t make any appreciable difference on server load unless you’re running 10,000+ clients. And to kick you in the face, in order to realize these performance improvements, you have to install a binary backend service.

#26573 : had this issue, too. Got message to update to 20.0.9 .

CLI Upgrade landed on 21.0.1 … as szaimen mentioned … it’s fundamental to have a backup before upgrading … from my side … i work with:

• LVM Snapshots
  • qcow2 / KVM Snapshots
  • Enterprise FS Backup Tools
  • not to forget: NC itself does a Backup every time, before Upgrading !
  • at the end … do not forget the Database!

But . i think, it is important to mention … there are some scenarious … where you make an upgrade … you’ve got smaller or no issues … and you decide to continue (Server is still in Maintenannce or/and Port-Forwarding is disabled … after you continue … all the Clients begin to upload … and then - after some time … four hours … twelve hours … one day … you notice, that you have got bigger troubles … so, what’s then … just do restore a Backup, which is one day old ? It’s not that simple sometimes, when the whole environment did change in the meantime. Of course, you could overcome this … building modern Cluster environments(Database, shared Storage … and yes … ZFS :slight_smile: ) … but not everyone is a Storage professional.