Upgrade a very old (20.0.4) version of Nextcloud

Hi there,

I am running a quite old version of Nextcloud. My question is if there are any special needs when upgrading from version 20.0.4 to latest release version. The auto-upgrader won’t work. So I think I have to go for a manual upgrade. Before doing so I wanted to check back, if there are comments on the upgrade in this specific case. Can I directly upgrade from 20.0.4 to the latest released version by a manual upgrade as outlined in the Manual?

Errors by the build-in updater:

`
Check for expected files
Parsing response failed.
Show detailed response

a { text-decoration: none; } a::before { content: "["; } a::after { content: "]"; } pre { width: 25.5rem; margin-top: 2rem; } body { display: flex; justify-content: center; }
           500 Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or mis-
configuration and was unable to complete your
request.

`
Nextcloud version: 20.0.4
Operating system and version: Linux 3.10.0-1160.31.1.el7.x86_64 x86_64

Thank you!

No. You can not directly upgrade. You must upgrade to Nextcloud 21, 22, 23 and then 24.

Do you have shell access? Then you can better use:

sudo -u www-data php updater/updater.phar

If nothing works you maybe can install Nextcloud 24 new, add the users manually, import all files, “occ scan” and then the files are back again. But you lose all shares, …

Thank you devnull. I will do so and try to upgrade step by step. A complete reinstall of Nextcloud 24 would be the final solution if other options are already proven not to be working.