Updates 19.0.2, 18.0.8 and 17.0.9 are out, time to update!

Originally published at: Updates 19.0.2, 18.0.8 and 17.0.9 are out, time to update! - Nextcloud

You can now download the second update for our latest Nextcloud Hub v19, as well as updates 18.0.8 and 17.0.9. Keep in mind that Nextcloud 16 is no longer supported and you are strongly urged to upgrade. Our statistics show that already over a third of our user base is on Nextcloud Hub 19, which puts it just a little bit behind Hub 18. This is your chance to join and benefit from the many improvements!

Two things we want to note. First, the upcoming Nextcloud Hub v20 is the last release supporting PHP 7.2. The 21 release that follows it next year requires at least PHP 7.3!
Second, this is likely the last update to Nextcloud 17. Time to plan your update to 18 if you haven’t yet!

📺 view video on YouTube

What’s new:

🔒 Password-less authentication and many other security measures
    📝 Talk 9 with built-in office document editing courtesy of Collabora, a grid view & more
    🚀 MUCH improved performance, 📆 Deck integration in Calendar, 🙇 guest account groups and more!

Read more

As always, these minor releases are focused on stability and security improvements and are designed to be a safe and quick upgrade.
screenshot of admin sharing settings

What’s new

First, one more reminder that with the availability of Nextcloud Hub v19 we ceased maintenance of Nextcloud 16. If you are still among the thousands that run this older version (or a release even older!), either upgrade as soon as you can to Nextcloud 17 and then 18 as 17 is also near its end of security updates. Alternatively contact our team for long term support. Remember: running an outdated version of Nextcloud is a real security risk! And that’s not even talking about the many performance and feature improvements you miss out on.

The list of changes for 19 shows the number of pull requests merged is decreasing as usual, about 60 compared to the nearly 80 for 19.0.1. Changes range from small design fixes to Samba, encryption and search improvements. As usual there are also security hardenings, error reporting and performance fixes.

Some small features

There are also a few small features:

• Admins can now configure the maximum trashbin size! The trashbin size can be configured using the occ trash:size command and can be set both globally and per-user.
  • Another change allows the admin to disable the email users get when their mail address was changed by the admin (see documentation).
  • Disabled users are now shown in the output of occ user:report
  • The Calendar can now limit sharing to owner of the calendar

With 40 changes, a subset of these improvements was also brought back to Nextcloud 18. 17.0.9 has 16 bugfixes and improvements.

You can find the full change log of fixes and improvements for 18.0.8, 17.0.7 and of course 19.0.2 on our website.

Note: running web facing software without regular updates is risky. Please stay up to date with Nextcloud releases of both the server and its apps, for the safety of your data! Customers can always count on our upgrade support if needed!

Nextcloud Hub – the most successful release

We always recommend you to get the latest and greatest! Our updater statistics shows that Nextcloud Hub is the most deployed release, with over two-thirds of our user base already on version 18 and 19!

Note that if you are still on 15, 16 or 17 these releases are now unmaintained, or in case of 17, only one more release is coming. You should upgrade as soon as possible or, if you can’t, get long term support from Nextcloud GmbH so you can continue to receive security and stability updates.

Stay safe: keep your server up-to-date!

Minor Nextcloud releases are security and functionality bug fixes, not rewrites of major systems that risk user data! We also do extensive testing, both in our code base and by upgrading a series of real-world systems to the test versions. This ensures that upgrades to minor releases are painless and reliable. As the updates not only fix feature issues but also security problems, it is a bad idea to not upgrade!

This is, of course, also true for apps: Keeping them updated has security benefits, besides the new features and other bug fixes.

If you are maintaining a mission-critical Nextcloud system for your enterprise, it is highly recommended that you get yourself some insurance (and job security… who gets blamed if the file handling system isn’t working as expected?). A hotline to the core Nextcloud developers is the best guarantee for reliable service for your users, and the job safety of you as system administrator.

Share your opinion and inspire others to liberate their data!

We appreciate your feedback – it is a great way to contribute and we’d love to hear your thoughts on your favorite features and functionalities of the stable releases!
Help us spread the word about Nextcloud and write a review in one of the following platforms (or all of them if you prefer ). What’s the best thing about Nextcloud so far?

Thanks a lot!

5 Likes

I like it :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Yes - seems to improve even if the useability & look&feel might be reconsidered.

BUT: a way to break a file that has been added to the chat is to rename it. (https://github.com/nextcloud/spreed/issues/4065)

Thanks for the updates. It seems like the release files are signed with a new (yet unknown) OpenPGP key: 0x8B5274AEE6EC9C06B0DDAA96130DAB86D3FB356C). This key differs from the one that you used previously and that is available at https://nextcloud.com/nextcloud.asc (0x2ED040329CAAF597A1A147FD36B8EF1826F57923).

Was that on purpose, an accident, or did a supply chain attack just happen to me?

1 Like

@system @jospoortvliet the article https://nextcloud.com/blog/updates-19-0-1-18-0-and-17-0-9-are-out-time-to-update/ still mentions 19.0.1 in the title (and URL), while it should be 19.0.2 :slight_smile: The Tweet preview of the article has the same issue: https://twitter.com/Nextclouders/status/1298900701377159172

As always, thanks for the update :tada:!

3 Likes

Same issue here, please someone advise, thanks.

1 Like

Seems to be fixed now. Release signatures have been updated and are signed by 0x2ED040329CAAF597A1A147FD36B8EF1826F57923 again. Thanks!

1 Like

When will NCv20 be out?

Is there anything more about this? In docs somewhere ? (I did not find)

2 Likes

What about the command help:

> ./occ trashbin:size --help
Description:
  Configure the target trashbin size

Usage:
  trashbin:size [options] [--] [<size>]

Arguments:
  size                   the target size for the trashbin, if not provided the current trashbin size will be returned

Options:
      --output[=OUTPUT]  Output format (plain, json or json_pretty, default is plain) [default: "plain"]
  -u, --user=USER        configure the target size for the provided user, if no user is given the default size is configured
  -h, --help             Display this help message
  -q, --quiet            Do not output any message
  -V, --version          Display this application version
      --ansi             Force ANSI output
      --no-ansi          Disable ANSI output
  -n, --no-interaction   Do not ask any interactive question
      --no-warnings      Skip global warnings, show command output only
  -v|vv|vvv, --verbose   Increase the verbosity of messages: 1 for normal output, 2 for more verbose output and 3 for debug
2 Likes

In about a month, see the schedule on github.

1 Like

Thanks!

I managed to check out ‘occ config:list’, but didn’t realized to try that out.

ah. But even bit more would be nice to have…

Now I checked my settings:

occ trashbin:size
Default size: default (50% of available space)
No per-user sizes configured

and tried to decrease it

occ trashbin:size 10%
Failed to parse input size

So how the size can be defined ? (I guess the GB could be used then and used that, but incase the devs read this they might add there few details or update docs… :slight_smile: )

In the post from system the command is
occ trash:size
without ‘bin’.

Regards!
Fraengii

Today I took a look into the “General” tab of my MacClient to check if it’s up to date. The version of the client is 2.6.5. The client said, that the software is up to date. After hitting the check-button to look for updates → same result. Then I went to the nextcloud website and downloaded the newest client. Version ist 3.0.1. !?!?

So, it is obvious, that the update mechanism is not working.

I don’t know under which version you’ve checked the command syntax but NC 19.0.2 shows this information:

> ./occ trash

Command "trash" is not defined.

Did you mean one of these?
      trashbin:cleanup
      trashbin:expire
      trashbin:size                             # <<<

3.0 needs to be added here: client_updater_server/config/config.php at master · nextcloud/client_updater_server · GitHub

See https://github.com/nextcloud/server/wiki/Maintenance-and-Release-Schedule

Thank you! I cannot wait.

1 Like