UPDATED (more detail): Linux appimage quits after sync and must be restarted manually to sync any changes. How to fix?

It is quite frustrating to realize that I want access to a file that should have been synced on my home system, but is NOT synced because this application stopped running—and I have no way to restart the appimage on my home machine while I’m at work. This is absolutely maddening behavior. When the application was just a regular installed program, it NEVER stopped running. It worked predictably and reliably. The appimage has been AWFUL and has never worked correctly.

The ability to sync files to a central cloud location is the main reason I use Nextcloud, so this appimage issue defeats the entire purpose (for me, anyway).

Also, is there a better place to ask this question & find support for this issue?

Nextcloud version:
Nextcloud-3.6.4-x86_64.AppImage

Operating system and version:
Kubuntu 22.10
Kernel version: 5.19.0-28-generic (64-bit)
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.98.0
Qt Version 5.15.6
Graphics Platform: X11

The issue you are facing:
The app image doesn’t stay running in the background and sync changes as they happen. It starts running when the system boots up, syncs changes, then SILENTLY quits and never restarts. If I want to sync changes (after I figure out it stopped running), I must manually restart the app image.

Expected behavior:
Once the system boots up, the appimage syncs and KEEPS RUNNING to sync changes in the background. (The way the regular, installed Nextcloud app worked on my very old version of Fedora.)

How do I make this happen?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?:
No. This has been happening since Nextcloud appimage version 3.6.0 (when I started using the appimage).

Steps to replicate it:

1. Start appimage.
  2. Wait.
  3. Appimage stops running & never restarts.

Hi @jane42

As I already said in the other thread, I can’t really help with issues regarding the AppImage. But as an alternative you could install the client from this PPA: https://launchpad.net/~nextcloud-devs/+archive/ubuntu/client

If you decide to give this a shot, you should first remove the AppImgage from your system! After you are sure the Appimage isn’t running anymore and doesn’t autostart again, you then can add the PPA to your system and install the client by using the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nextcloud-devs/client`
sudo apt update
sudo apt install dolphin-nextcloud

This should also give you the Dolphin File Manager integration.

Hope this helps…

3 Likes

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I needed!

2 Likes