Update to Nextcloud 17 not available

at first: i am no dev and no employee at nextcloud gmbh. meaning: i don’t know nothing for sure.
so the only thing i can offer here are my personal experiences from the forum.

and those experiences covered all 4 points i was mentioning in my post above.

40 days… and what? is this your first upgrade to a major version? there has been times when it took longer than 40 days to get a version rolled out. but … there has been reasons for it… like:

this already happened without anyone here being aware of it. if it makes sense to you or not is of rather low importance here. it happened. and so it could happen again.
if you want to get to know it more exactly you’re free to contact nextcloud gmbh for an update.

you asked about reasons, i gave you some - corresponding to this forum. some of the users claimed they couldn’t upgrade either way.

again: see above. plus: “some dozens” … where have you got this amount from. all i can see is a number between 10 and 20 (but rather 10 than 20).
do you know how many nc-instances are out there being successfully upgraded? some hundred K for sure.

and have you found only ONE user here who gave out any detailled info about his instance, set-up, envorinment, log-files, config-files as the forum usually needs to being at least able to try a valid answer? ummm… i haven’t seen anyone doing that.
so all such requests are like: “i have a blue car. i can’t refill it”. and the most common answers then are: “aww maybe the fill is locked. pls look for the keys. they could behind the sunshades.”

thanks for your understanding.

1 Like

I mean - Devs - Jesus - cats - can‘t you see
the update desert we all go through?
Is it a kind of biblical test for the
worthiness of nextcloud users - 40 days
without update available? Oh next
cloud is darkening our update sun?

1 Like

Another thing I do before upgrading (and I use the CLI updater) is first download the current version of the updater script. I don’t know if that could be part of the problem in this situation, but maybe that’s why I was able to upgrade to 17 but some others aren’t. I haven’t seen documentation on this, but I just noticed the updater version (when you first run the updater) doesn’t appear to update itself automatically. So I just pull it from here: https://github.com/nextcloud/updater/releases
before running the update.
That’s worth a try.

A quick update…

2 days ago I updated all installations of NC from 16.0.5 to 17 manually. CLI updater didn’t work because of famous must be of the type string, null given error, but I was able to finish update using web interface.

Today, I logged in to one of upgraded installations and got a notification - upgrade to 17.0.1 available. Great, updates work again! Not really… When I open Settings -> Overview, it displays - 17.0.0. - Your version is up to date.

Tried to cleanup cache, force reload, etc - notification popup about 17.0.1 is always displayed, but NC says that I’m running the latest version (17.0.0). So it looks separate NC modules conflict between themselves.

But wait, there’s more. I opened another NC installation (which also had problems with upgrade, so I had to upgrade it manually) and no matter what I do, I couldn’t get notification popup about v17.0.1 to get displayed. But when I opened Settings -> Overview, it instantly offered to upgrade to 17.0.1, and automatic update worked perfectly.

Both installations are located on the same server and have very similar setup (except some apps), so I believe there’s something really wrong about NC updater…

I think the devs should not have made the announcement that NC 17 is there. Because it is not! They should have said clearly that this is a beta version or a RC. First when it is stable and available for everyone, then it should be called NC 17. Nothing else makes sense from a common user perspective. Therefore, everytime after a major version update people ask why the new version is not available for them

Well there seams to be a point to this. The empiric data makes it evident…

They do kind of say exactly this: Nextcloud 17 brings remote wipe, collaborative text editor and next generation secure watermarking - Nextcloud

note that we roll out new versions incrementally and usually wait a few weeks before we do so. This helps us catch any problems before it impacts too many users! If you wait for the updater to notify you, it can take some weeks. If you don’t want to wait, you can switch to the Beta channel, refresh the page, update to 17, and switch back!

But still - nobody seams to read this. And from the design of the site - it is a kind of alien paragraph, belonging nowhere. Not quite sure if it belongs to “Secure view” or “much more” or yes:
it is the last paragraph of the main announcement before they go into the details of all the new features…

2 Likes

Yes, nobody is reading this. But still, it is named NC 17. Now the news about 17.0.1 is out. They should have said 17.0.1 beta as it is not a stable version - they have to be clear in the naming of the version, don’t you think?

Now that 17.0.1 is available, can you guys try again? I’m running an instance of 16.0.5 on the stable channel, and it’s telling me 16.0.6 is available. I switched to the beta channel and refreshed the page, and it shows 17.0.1 as available. Working as expected for me today, just FYI.

I can just confirm the problems, my NC is running on 16.0.6 and also telling me it is “up to date”.
So what is this? If I change to beta channel it would show up? Now is NC 17 beta? No, it is declared and announced everywhere as stable, so why the heck do I have to switch to beta channel in order to get it??? So if NC 17 is stable, why would you “wait a few weeks to catch any problems”???

I do understand, that you might want to throttle the download rates and therefore delay some installations. But after 2-3 days, the huge wave of installations should be over. Now we are > 40 days later and the next “stable” version (17.0.1) is released.
So, HOW LONG DO WE STILL HAVE TO WAIT TO GET IT???

PS: How does the announcement-page for 17.0.1 read at the end?

"Stay safe: keep your server up-to-date!

… it is a bad idea to not upgrade!"

How true! I just would like to be able to do so!

@duetak

calm down and breathe! no needs to shout in here.

if you want better support go and buy some at nextcloud inc.
apart from that: everyone - you as well - is invited to not just rant but to activly create stuff… “create” as in “doing some coding yourself.”

so please tell me: what was your creative input on nc17 so far?

I think both sides have a point. @duetak is a litte bit to demanding, right, but trying to play the “what did you contribute?” card feels wrong too. Just saying. :slight_smile:

Ahoi!

1 Like

@himbeere

polemic argument 2 beats polemic argument 1 :wink:
but wells… to sign on here and for a 1st posting - so just to vent off - that was a bit too much, i think. and that’s why i played this card.
i feel really sorry if you think that was too much. :frowning:

No problem @JimmyKater . I know it can be challenging dealing with newbies, answering the same questions on and on again. :slight_smile:

So, i’m still on nc 16.0.6 eagerly waiting for my update. I guess i can expect you to do something here! :slight_smile:

Ahoi!

you’ll find all of my contributions here at this forum (and sometimes on github, as well) :smiley:

i’m still on 16.0.5 :wink:

i was like the same… but then i managed to persuade myself that there is absolutely no stress updating. as i already put out sometimes: i would wait until x.0.2 (at least!) with every major upgrade.
i mean what was the dealmaker for me to upgrade to nc 17? mostly the possibiliy of remote-wipe. but then again: do i really need it fast? not at all. so: do i really need it? no - it’s a nice to have-thing. and so you could go through every single point of new features. nice to have. but nothing more.
and so i got slowly away from all the pseudo-needs of making myself a slave to upgrading (or - even in a wider meaning - feeling the need of being a first-adopter. i had this time as well and please believe me if i tell you: mostly that means more stress than just waiting relaxed for some more time and have fun with a code/device that is just better)

1 Like

My NC instance also didn’t show me v17 even when it had been on the stable channel. So, I switched to the beta channel and waited a couple of hours and up came 17.0.1, which I then installed.

I know, that there’s this hiccup sometimes for some of us, but it really isn’t a big deal, is it? Once I was confident, that I wanted to switch to 17.0.1, I forced it. NC is anything else than a simple installation. Even if it seems to be easy to install, maintaining a long-running instance will come at some cost (time, envolvement and learning) and there will be things, which will not work the way, one expects them to…

1 Like