Update stucks with "update in process" performing step 6

Nextcloud version: 21.1.5
Operating system and version : Ubuntu 22.04.2
Apacheverson: 2.4.52
PHP version: 8.1.18

Hi,

I am using nextcloud for several years. Never I had any problems with updates. This time however the update process hangs at step 6. When I start the process via webui I get the message “update in process”.

I succeeded in restarting the update process via cli. Here I get the following error message:

[✔] Check for expected files
[✔] Check for write permissions
[✔] Create backup
[✔] Downloading
[✔] Verify integrity
[ ] Extracting ...PHP Warning:  require(/var/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php): Failed to open stream: No such file or directory in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php on line 677
PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Error: Failed opening required '/var/www/nextcloud/updater/../version.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php:677
Stack trace:
#0 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/Updater.php(715): NC\Updater\Updater->getVersionByVersionFile()
#1 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/UpdateCommand.php(383): NC\Updater\Updater->extractDownload()
#2 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/lib/UpdateCommand.php(240): NC\Updater\UpdateCommand->executeStep()
#3 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Command/Command.php(255): NC\Updater\UpdateCommand->execute()
#4 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(1021): Symfony\Component\Console\Command\Command->run()
#5 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(275): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRunCommand()
#6 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/vendor/symfony/console/Application.php(149): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->doRun()
#7 phar:///var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar/updater.php(10): Symfony\Component\Console\Application->run()
#8 /var/www/nextcloud/updater/updater.phar(14): require('...')
#9 {main}

Obviously nextcloud is missing something. Unfortunately I am the the expert to know what nextcloud is looking for.

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

no error message

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

<?php
$CONFIG = array (
  'instanceid' => 'oc2a0llpkr1x',
  'passwordsalt' => '',
  'secret' => '',
  'trusted_domains' => 
  array (
    0 => '192.168.178.150',
    1 => 'nc24.xxx.de',
    2 => 'nc24.xxx.de',
  ),
  'trusted_proxies' => 
  array (
    0 => '192.168.178.105',
  ),
  'overwriteprotocol' => 'https',
  'datadirectory' => '/home/data',
  'dbtype' => 'mysql',
  'version' => '27.1.5.1',
  'overwrite.cli.url' => 'http://192.168.178.150',
  'dbname' => 'nextcloud',
  'dbhost' => 'localhost',
  'dbport' => '',
  'dbtableprefix' => 'oc_',
  'mysql.utf8mb4' => true,
  'dbuser' => 'nextclouduser',
  'dbpassword' => '',
  'installed' => true,
  'mail_smtpmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_smtpsecure' => 'ssl',
  'mail_sendmailmode' => 'smtp',
  'mail_from_address' => ',
  'mail_domain' => '',
  'mail_smtpauthtype' => 'LOGIN',
  'mail_smtpauth' => 1,
  'mail_smtphost' => '',
  'mail_smtpport' => '465',
  'mail_smtpname' => '',
  'mail_smtppassword' => '',
  'maintenance' => false,
  'theme' => '',
  'loglevel' => 0,
  'default_phone_region' => 'DE',
  'memcache.local' => '\\OC\\Memcache\\APCu',
  'htaccess.RewriteBase' => '/',
  'updater.secret' => '$2y$10$8CThivDippu0nQY1./TtguZTg1dPEcUF5gwhC75265z2jx56BHsNK',
);

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

no error messages

Output errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/ or as admin user in top right menu, filtering for errors. Use a pastebin service if necessary.

no error messages
``
Perhaps somebody can give me a hint how to proceed in this situation.

Strizz

The updater cannot find the file

nextcloud_dir/version.php

Is that file present?

Unfortunately you only posted a truncated log echo, without the version string of the updater, that makes it difficult to trace.

ernolf

Hello ernolf,

The updater cannot find the file

nextcloud_dir /version.php

Is that file present?

The file version.php is in the directory

/home/data/updater-oc2a0llpkr1x/downloads/nextcloud/version.php

I never changed this location and it worked with earlier updates.

Unfortunately you only posted a truncated log echo, without the version string of the updater, that makes it difficult to trace.

Sorry for the truncation. It is a matter of updating nextcloud from 27.1.5 to 27.1.6

Strizz

Hello

unfortunately I am not able to update nextcloud. I would therefore like to restore the last working version. Can I do this using the backup that is made in step 3 of the update process. Is this described somewhere or can someone explain to me how this works?

Strizz