Update snap or not ? Does it worth?

Good morning,

I have NC 18 ( Nextcloud 18.0.7 Build:2020-08-13T12:07:43+00:00) as snap on my Ubuntu 18.04 server.
My NC18 works fine and OnlyOffice as well. I use NC18 more than 6 months.
I would like to know if it worth to think about upgrade to NC19?
Thank you for your answer.

You must upgrade until NC18 goes out of support (2021-01).
Maintenance and release schedule — Nextcloud latest Administration Manual latest documentation
You must also upgrade in the future to NC20, NC21, … You can not leave out a release.

If you do not like it you can search a nextcloud hosting provider with automatic upgrades.
Also Nextcloud Enterprise gives companys, who pay for nextcloud, long term support (5-10 years).

Thank you very much for your info.
Unfortunately I do not see an option how to upgrade my snap directly from Nexcloud admin interface.
Can somebody please help me how to backup present snap and how to upgrade to new one?

Thank you.

Snap updates automatically to the latest by the maintainer tested version.
You can of course do it yourself via a command but I would suggest to wait until you get it automatically.

Thank you for your answer.
So does it mean that I do not have to do nothing at the moment and wait until there will be automatic update?
Thank you.

Read

https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/19/admin_manual/maintenance/package_upgrade.html

Yes, that’s correct :+1:

This doesn’t apply to the snap

Guys,
thank you very much for your answers.
So I must wait to automatic snap upgrade to NC19 or above (if I understand it right).

Yes :+1:
That is the prefered way with the snap

1 Like