Update, hangs on step 5

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 24.0.0
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Fedora 36 - Kernel: Linux 5.17.13-300.fc36.x86_64
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache/2.4.53 (Fedora Linux)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): replace me

The issue you are facing: Can’t update nextcloud…update hangs on step 5

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): N

Steps to replicate it:

1. Go to settings/overview > open updater

please help :upside_down_face:

1 Like

anyone able to help at all?

what exactly is that step? And which errormessage is thrown?

1 Like

thanks so much for the reply!

Update, hangs on step 5

not sure what this step is exactly. every time i go back to it, it doesn’t restart the update process again, it just says, ‘Step 5 is currently in process. Please reload this page later.’

when i go to settings > administration/overview i see:

Version

Nextcloud 24.0.0

A new version is available: Nextcloud 24.0.1
All apps have a compatible version for this Nextcloud version available.

Apps with compatible version

[Open updater] [Download now]

i can download the nextcloud-24.0.1.zip, but i get the ‘Step 5 is currently in process’ message when i click ‘Open updater’

any troubleshooting ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I had a “hang on 5” error…
My solution was to (in cli) go into /patch/to/nextcloud/data/ and delete the ‘updater-“some-letters”’ directory.
Then run updater again.

1 Like

@bajotaz thank you so much! your comment was spot on and got me on the right track to solving the issue!

instead of deleting the entire updater-[INSTANCE_ID] directory, i found that renaming the hidden .step file located within it was a potentially less destructive way of accomplishing the same task of cancelling step 5 (the download validation process).

i also needed to increase the memory_limit in php.ini to at least 512M. not sure how, but some of my initial edits to php reverted back to their defaults, including this one.

anyway…

for me, the solution was a two step process using the cli:

1. i raised the memory_limit in /etc/php.ini to 512M (an essential configuration step)

2. i cancelled the update by renaming the (hidden) .step file in the nextcloud data directory

• i navigated to my nextcloud data directory (ex: /var/www/html/nameofnextclouddirectory/data or /var/www/nameofnextclouddirectory/data)

• used the command sudo -i to give me access to the data directory

• used the command ls -a to view hidden files in the data directory

• located the .step file and renamed it (thereby cancelling the update process)

• restarted my server so the changes would propagate (an essential step)

i opened my browser, navigated back to nextcloud, re-opened the updater, and it worked!

thx to @JimmyKater and @bajotaz for your insight and willingness to help me solve this issue.

you rock!

2 Likes