Unexpected upload behaviour after renaming file

Hello,

i’m not sure this belongs here, it is more of a lil “bug” report, but i’ve encountered an interesting behaviour that i wanted to share.

One of my friends renamed a file from “xxx.mkv” to “xxx.mkv yyy” through the web app in their browser.
I have the files synced on my disk. I renamed the file from “xxx.mkv yyy” to “xxx yyy.mkv” through my file browser, and instead of just uploading the name change the client began to sync the whole file again which takes it time with 600MB@1MB/s.
The desktop client has reported that i “deleted xxx.mkv yyy” and “created xxx yyy.mkv”.

As there has been no other change to the file (it is a video after all), this was unexpected to me, and i think is not a desirable behaviour.

I hope this is the right place for this. Otherwise please point me to the right spot.

In theory, you should be able to reproduce this with any file type, not just a large file. I’d retry it with a simple textfile, if you can reproduce this behaviour. And then it sounds more like a bug. However, check that you are running the latest version of your release: Nextcloud server changelog