Unable to upload/sync .htaccess files

Hey all! New users here, wondering what I can do to safely allow htaccess without zipping the folder up… I look forward to any replies! Thanks all!

Nextcloud version : Latest, downloaded today
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 17.04): 18.04 LEMP
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): nginx/1.14.0
PHP version (eg, 7.1)_: 7.1

The issue you are facing: I get an error every time I try to upload old websites to my cloud… It will not sync .htaccess files.

I’ve looked online and the only results I can find is from 2017 saying zip it up or deal with it. But its 2019 now, isn’t there a way I can I upload these files like I can in ownCloud? I’m a web developer so I put all my client work on my cloud as a backup.

Note: this is a fresh install today with Ubuntu 18.04 Digital Ocean LEMP stack.

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Steps to replicate it:

1. Syncing .htaccess files creates an error seen here

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging:

The output of your config.php file in /path/to/nextcloud (make sure you remove any identifiable information!):

Unchanged from install.

The output of your Apache/nginx/system log in /var/log/____:

I’m pretty much still a newbie, so I don’t know if this is relevant to your issue, but just yesterday I noticed this line in the Server Admin Manual:

Blacklist a specific file or files and disallow the upload of files with this name. .htaccess is blocked by default.

You can search for that text within the manual and it might help to point you in the right direction (seems that you can delete .htaccess from the array associated with the “blacklisted_files” configuration within config.php).

hth

Hi there,

look. Since Nextcloud is basiclally a Webserver, and the permissions are organised via .htaccess files in the folderstructure, it cannot allow for .htaccess files beeing uploaded into the same Folders.

Do you see the Problem here?

Please just dont do it or try it on behalf of your own serversecurity and stableness of your system.