Unable to Update from 20.0.12.1

I canā€™t help with this problem, maybe someone in the forum can.

This is not the most elegant solution, but you can install the latest NextCloudPi image and then restore the backups you have.

Make a full backup (nc-backup)
Intstall the image
Run ncp-update (ncp-update)
Restore the backup (nc-restore)
Update NCP as @just said (nc-update-nextcloud)

I understand.
Will my external HD be recognize?
My data is in an external disk.
Basically, is there a procedure to make a new installation and retain your external disk?
PS
Isnā€™t a bit strange that someone with old installation has issue to keep up with upgrades if the original image is older?
That would affect a lot of users.
But I cant read many with this issueā€¦
is it possible a different solution?

Read docs.nextcloudpi.com or search the forum to learn how to setup an external drive. Restore process is detailed as well. Linking the 32 to 64bit migration below.

Moving away from 32bit has been an on-going process the last couple years. A lot has change since version 20, much of it under the hood. And I guess no one has asked about this migration in a while. So, we are happy to help you.

Weā€™ve done our best to help the user base with documentation and guidance. You can find all of the past questions and topics about this within the forum. Here are some relevant onesā€¦

Does my device support 64 bit?

Why am I stuck on armhf and not on arm64?

How to migrate from armhf to 64-bit

2 Likes

@just Apreciate it.
Dont get me wrong, please. I highly appreciate all the work is done on NCP.
Sometimes I get frustrated when I have to re-start major work on it with annexed fear of loosing data (and time).
But eventually I will be happy again.
When I start the migration I will be picking this thread again and ask for help and guidance if and when needed (most probably I will :sweat_smile:)

Hi @just ,
I am here to reportā€¦
First of all thank for the procedure and help.
I decided to move the cloud to a better Pi: Rpi 4B with 8gb (moved from 4GB).
I followed all the How to move from armhf 32bit to arm64 pi 4
all worked smoothly.
I than started to upgrade as you suggested: moving first to 21.0.8 and than using 0 (in nc-update-nextcloud) to install latest version.
After upgrading to 21.0.8, I tried to upgrade with 0.
However I had the same issue:
Running nc-update-nextcloud
Upgrade cannot skip major versions. Please upgrade one major version at a time
Done. Press any keyā€¦
However, when I manually choose to install version 22.2.2, it worked!
I found this quite oddā€¦
After be on 22.2.2, 0 started to work.
I realized that since the time you suggested how to upgrade, a new major varsion came out and therefore I could not use 0 from 21.x
I would consider this problem solved.
I am installing version 23.x as I am writing to you.
Than you all for helping and guide me to a smooth transition to arm64 pi 4

Glad to help.

Nextcloud only allows you to update major version to the next major version. It is a strange quirk, but you always have to upgrade 21.x to 22.x, etc. You ran into this issue because Nextcloudpi is now on 23.x

Cheers! Be sure to always keep automatic backups and you should be good for switching on automatic updates. :slight_smile:

1 Like