Unable to open certain document types

Nextcloud Android app version 1.4.2
Android Version 7.0
Samsung Galaxy S7

When I try to open an Excel Spreadsheet I get the following dialogue box

Can’t open file

Try saving the file on the device and then opening it.

This has only been a problem since upgrading to 1.4.2 and happens with other file types.

Any assistance would be appreciated

@duckula do you have Microsoft Excel or Google Spreadsheet app installed on your phone?

Hi

Yes I do. Excel, PowerPoint and Word

@tobiasKaminsky @mario any ideas?

Images and audio files open ok

PDF files don’t open but Adobe Acrobat Reader launches.

DOC, DOCX, XLS, XLSX files display the error dialogue.

I haven’t tested exhaustively.

Hope this helps

Is there any issue for this? If yes, assign it to me and I’ll take a look.

Assigned you https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/751

So I guess this problem is still open with regards to using MS OFFICE?

Yes, but I strongly believe this is an issue with MS OFFICE rather than with our app.

I have resorted to using A webDav client.

Are there any debug files I can enable to assist with this problem?

It may well be an MS Office problem but surely the client app should be compatible with the largest office suite!

As a developer myself I would be interested to assist however I can

I’m experiencing the same issue.

Nextcloud 10.0.1 on an LG G6.

As an example: When opening a spreadsheet it only gives me the option of using excel or office mobile. Both give me the same “Try saving the file on the device and then opening it” error. I have sheets installed as well but does not give me the option of opening the file with it.

I also have owncloud. When using the owncloud app it gives me the option of sheets, excel or office mobile. All 3 open the spreadsheet just fine.

As the other user said, pictures open fine. Office related files do not. Thing that’s interesting is that owncloud app works but nextcloud doesn’t…

I just changed the storage path to be internal instead of the sd and now its working.

Sheets is now showing as an option to open spreadsheets too.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up!

Further discussions and hints can also be found here: https://github.com/nextcloud/android/issues/751

I had the exact same problem on a samsung Tablet with android 7, not only with word and excel files, but also with pdf files. Changing the storage path solved it.
Thank you so much for sharing this solution