Unable to make changes to External Storage settings since last update to 17.0.1

So I’m having a frustrating time with my “External Storages” settings.
I currently have various previously configured SMB shares setup and they all initially show up with green check marks to the left indicating that everything is working fine. If I click on the check mark to the far right to save the current config, I instantly get a red exclamation mark. Hitting refresh on my browser turns it back to a green check mark.

No log entries are being generated. Of course I get exclamation marks everytime I create a entry from scratch. Even if I mess up the password intentinally, I don’t even get an error in the log file.
I double checked permissions. Updated the database and ensured it was running properly.

I’m running Ubuntu Server 18.04.
I’m pulling my hair out and and hoping someone out there can lend a hand.

Cheers!

1 Like

Unfortunately the docs aren’t too helpful: https://docs.nextcloud.com/desktop/2.3/troubleshooting.html

These instructions seem more to the point: https://www.latestfreshnews.com/the-right-way-to-allow-logging-in-nextcloud-16/

So that ended up breaking my nextcloud instance. I received the following message.

“Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator if this error reappears multiple times, please include the technical details below in your report.
More details can be found in the webserver log.”

I reverted my config.php file and simply changed the loglevel to 0 and it looks like I’m getting debug level logging. However, nothing I do in the External storages section has any effect. Any changes I make get reverted when I refresh the page and no logs are being generated. The existing smb shares are in fact mounted. Using a nextcloud client I am able to navigate to those files. I just can’t change anything or add anything. I’m running an up to date copy of Ubuntu Server 18.04 with the following samba related packages.

dpkg --list|grep ‘smb|samba’
ii libsmbclient:amd64 2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.13 amd64 >shared library for communication with SMB/CIFS servers
ii php-smbclient 1.0.0-1+ubuntu18.04.1+deb.sury.org+11 amd64 PHP wrapper for libsmbclient
ii python-samba 2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.13 amd64 Python bindings for Samba
ii samba-common 2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.13 all common files used by both the Samba server and client
ii samba-common-bin 2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.13 amd64 Samba common files used by both the server and the client
ii samba-libs:amd64 2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.13 amd64 Samba core libraries
ii smbclient 2:4.7.6+dfsg~ubuntu-0ubuntu2.13 amd64 command-line SMB/CIFS clients for Unix

1 Like
1 Like

Yes this is my issue exactly. Glad I’m not the only one. You’re awesome!
It was just a bit too late for me to explain myself properly last night. :stuck_out_tongue:

server/apps/files_external/lib/Lib/Backend/SMB.php

In SMB.php after following entries:

(new DefinitionParameter('timeout', $l->t('Timeout')))      
               ->setType(DefinitionParameter::VALUE_HIDDEN) 

add following entry:

->setFlag(DefinitionParameter::FLAG_OPTIONAL),

This has solved the issue!! I appreciate the help!

1 Like