Unable to connect to my server


Everything was working fine until yesterday, then my client on my laptop choose to not sync anymore on my server…
On my desktop everything is working fine, both my laptop and my server on debian, with the client up to date (version 2.3.3).
On my android app, it’s working fine also.
I tried to reinstall but nothing changed.

This is what I get:

And if I launch with log:

09-11 00:34:20:594 20398 OCC::ownCloudGui::slotOpenSettingsDialog: No configured folders yet, starting setup wizard

09-11 00:34:20:653 20398 OCC::OwncloudWizard::slotCurrentPageChanged: Current Wizard page changed to 0

09-11 00:34:24:024 20398 OCC::PassiveUpdateNotifier::backgroundCheckForUpdate: virtual void OCC::PassiveUpdateNotifier::backgroundCheckForUpdate()

09-11 00:34:24:025 20398 OCC::OCUpdater::backgroundCheckForUpdate: virtual void OCC::OCUpdater::backgroundCheckForUpdate() checking for available update

09-11 00:34:24:088 20398 OCC::OCUpdater::slotVersionInfoArrived: Failed to reach version check url: "Error while setting the maximum protocol version"

09-11 00:34:27:180 20398 OCC::PostfixLineEdit::setFullText: "https://cloud.vulgarisons.info"

09-11 00:34:27:183 20398 OCC::OwncloudSetupWizard::slotDetermineAuthType: Trying to look up system proxy

09-11 00:34:27:198 20398 OCC::OwncloudSetupWizard::slotSystemProxyLookupDone: No system proxy set by OS

09-11 00:34:27:199 20398 OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::start: !!! OCC::CheckServerJob created for "https://cloud.vulgarisons.info" + "status.php" "OCC::OwncloudSetupWizard"

09-11 00:34:27:245 20398 OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::slotFinished: void OCC::AbstractNetworkJob::slotFinished() QNetworkReply::NetworkError(UnknownNetworkError) "Error while setting the maximum protocol version" QVariant(Invalid)

09-11 00:34:27:247 20398 OCC::CheckServerJob::finished: error: status.php replied 0 ""

09-11 00:34:27:362 20398 OCC::PostfixLineEdit::setFullText: "https://cloud.vulgarisons.info"

09-11 00:34:32:232 20398 OCC::PostfixLineEdit::setFullText: "https://cloud.vulgarisons.info"

Anybody got an idea of the problem?


Any chance you are using Debian? I use Debian testing, and I got the exact same error string “Error while setting the maximum protocol version” in two different applications. Both the owncloud client and my quassel IRC client. A quick search showed me that the string appears on line 213 here.

There’s a bug filed here:


Does that help you?



Thanks for your quick answer, it may be my problem… (Yes I’m on Debian)
I’ll try to install the sid/experimental openssl version. But I dunno why it is working fine on my desktop, which has the same OS version.

Ok so, I installed the sid version of openssl which is 1.1.1. That’s working fine now.
The good part is that this morning it wasn’t working either on my desktop computer, and I fixed it the exact same way.
All seems good now, thanks again for your help.

Glad it’s working out for you.

There’s a link in this bug report that worked for me.


Both Quasselclient and Owncloud client are working with that downgrade.

You can also install libqt5network5 5.11.1+dfsg-8 from sid (hopefully soon in testing) which corrects the bug.

Nice idea.

openssl did the job so I won’t try another option.


I downloaded the -6 version, and that’s causing problems with other upgrades. I’m going to try the -8 one from sid.