Turn WD MyCloud into a NextCloud Box

I have a WD MyCloud 2TB NAS WDBCTL0020HWT-EESN running BusyBox Linux v1.20.2 and as I am getting a lot of sync errors I would like to flush the BusyBox and replace it with Ubuntu and install NextCloud on it.

Is it possible to download the iso that is used in the NextCloud Box’s sd card and install such on the WD My Cloud drive remotely?

1 Like

You’ll need to do a bit of Googling to see if that’s possible. Does the WD support apps?

The NC image is pinned on the forum:

WD My Cloud used to ship with Debian, but somehow they shifted to BusyBox. I have not suceeded to find a how to install Ubuntu Core remotely however past two days of Googling around. Any help on that please.

I was just about to post something similar, but was thinking more of the lines of integrating nextcloud using WD’s Apps process. WD Developer Link. I am just not sure if NextCloud would support the development, as that may compete against their Box? AND… I am certainly not technically able to support it, but would be willing to donate $$ for someone to create a NextCloud WD app. (Specifically for the DL4100!)

I was successfully running OC on my DL4100 using docker. But I believe that WD is no longer supporting docker in their latest upgrade.

Competition is healthy, the more places it runs the better for users and the project :slight_smile:

There’s a bountysource page - https://www.bountysource.com/teams/nextcloud

Just created an ‘issue.’ Thanks for the link!

Can you give us the link to the issue?

Embarrassingly, I cannot find the issue again. I think maybe it needs to have some admin turn it live from the Bounty Source Page.

Getting back to the original question of this thread, I have digged into the hardware specs of the 2TB WD My Cloud to check for compliance with Ubuntu and Nextcloud:

Processor

System-on-chip (SoC) ARM Cortex A9 dualcore ARMADA 375 CPU

Full code:

root@XXXXX root # cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 1594.16
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x4
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 1

processor       : 1
model name      : ARMv7 Processor rev 1 (v7l)
BogoMIPS        : 1594.16
Features        : swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp neon vfpv3 tls
CPU implementer : 0x41
CPU architecture: 7
CPU variant     : 0x4
CPU part        : 0xc09
CPU revision    : 1

Hardware        : Marvell Armada 375 (Device Tree)
Revision        : 0000
Serial          : 0000000000000000

I am thinking the way forward should be:

1. Establish hardware compliace with Ubuntu. If this is ok NextCloud will run without major issues
  2. Create an auto install Ubuntu (either 16.04 or Ubuntu Core) to boot from the USB
  3. Telnet into Ubuntu and install NextCloud

Another option would be to see if the NextCloud Box OS images are compliant with the Armada 375.

But as I am rather a newbe to Linux, I have no idea on how to get around…

@robclay no worries. I am in doubt if an app would do the job as the underlying Linux Distro (BusyBox) is stripped down to bare bones. So the best way forward is to flush this out and install Linux Distros in the likes of Ubuntu or Ubuntu Core than install Nextcloud. I am really confident that the Raspberry Pi2 NextCloud Box image would work out of the box as I have researched compatibility with the Cortex A9. Having said so, as I am a newbie to Linux, I have no idea as yet how to start the install on this headless device…

Honestly this isn’t the best community to be asking really. To ascertain the abilities of your WD you’ll need to start at a WD community, confirm with them if an rPi2 image will indeed flash without issue and then head back here for the NC side of it.

@JasonBayton thanks for the guidance, I will try to run a WD Community but doubt to get help as I have gone through similar questions that were so to say left in thin air. If I succeed I will post a detailed step-by-step guide to share with everyone.

Question on WD Support posted here will see if we get a reply.