Trying to install NC25 since 3 days by now - nothing works

Hi community,

Since version 18 I left Nextcloud and went to Google with my data. Now I would like to migrate back to NextCloud25 - but nothing works.

Ubuntu 20.04
PHP 8.1 or PHP7.4 (both donā€™t work)

Prerequisites for manual installation are met as far as I would say.

Trying setup-nextcloud.php - Nextcloud cannot resolve a host name. Very strange, because doing a pings and nslookups on several URLs is working fine within the console. So why can the setup not resolve a hostnasme ???

Trying to wget the latest.zip (webinstall as well) - also nothing works:

Error while trying to create admin user: Failed to connect to the database: An exception occurred in the driver: SQLSTATE[HY000] [1045] Access denied for user ā€˜nextcloud-db-userā€™@ā€˜localhostā€™ (using password: YES)

Why this ? the credentials work fine - exemplary on phpmyadmin I can login and add tables onto the database I have precreated for NCā€¦

Did the stability & reliability of Nextcloud really drop so dramatically during the last maybe 2 years ?

Or am I doing something wrong (I do not want to use docker).

Currently I am wondering if I maybe better stay with Googleā€¦

I would be very happy about help and advice

If you start new, Iā€™d use the most recent LTS version.

That is strange. There is a small example script that you could try to run if you php is able to resolve the hostnames:
https://www.php.net/manual/en/function.dns-get-record.php

When there are modules missing, it originally should have shown. And, all required modules are installed by defaultā€¦

Usually that is a good test. Have you different php setups on your server and they have different settings?

Yes, I will update the OS to V 22, when also doing the ISPConfig update.

Yes, but I cannot login mysql locally on the console as I just found out (I never use this normally) - not if I provide a host (such as ā€œlocalhostā€ or an IP). I can only login mySQL if I do not say ā€œUSERNAME@DEVICEā€. Much more I need to login as ā€œUSERā€ā€¦

thx - works fine :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

hmmmmmā€¦

If you are already on the console and have everything unpacked from the zip you downloaded, you can try the occ command directly to install Nextcloud:
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/admin_manual/configuration_server/occ_command.html#command-line-installation

Iā€™d try to go through the logs, is there apparmor or something preventing the execution of parts or some connections? On vanilla Ubuntu it should normally work ā€¦
You connect through a socket?

Ok, es ist ein mySQL Problem - ganz klar. Nextcloud bzw die eingegebene Konfiguration kann wohl nichts dafĆ¼rā€¦

Check your host file at /etc/hosts. Make sure the host name matches the server name and add the assigned server IP to this file.
Look like this:

10.0.01 My Hostname mydomain.com
127.0.1.1 My Hostname
127.0.0.1 localhost

The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters