Trying to add Group and share Editable Calendar (Nextcloud 27)

Support intro

Sorry to hear you’re facing problems :slightly_frowning_face:

help.nextcloud.com is for home/non-enterprise users. If you’re running a business, paid support can be accessed via portal.nextcloud.com where we can ensure your business keeps running smoothly.

In order to help you as quickly as possible, before clicking Create Topic please provide as much of the below as you can. Feel free to use a pastebin service for logs, otherwise either indent short log examples with four spaces:

example

Or for longer, use three backticks above and below the code snippet:

longer
example
here

Some or all of the below information will be requested if it isn’t supplied; for fastest response please provide as much as you can :heart:

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 27.0.1 - 27.0.1.2
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Debian 10
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache (fpm-fcgi) - Apache/2.4.38 (Debian)
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.0.29

The issue you are facing:
I am trying to introduce ‘Calendar Sharing’ Basically, I am trying to share a calendar with a Group of external Users (only have their email addresses in Contacts).

I can share the link with the Users in the Group and they can see the Calendar, as I update it, so thay see the updates, but new events cannot be added to the Calendar by these Users.

I am aware that 27.0.1 solved the problem of creating Groups, but having searched here and further afield on the Internet, but I am now lost for answers to progress further. not sure where to go from here

Can anyone help me check I have everything set up correctly?
Or does anybody have any ideas of what might be wrong?

TIA
Colin J

Don’t share the link, add the group directly as a sharee, in the same place where you would share directly to another user.
https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/stable/user_manual/en/groupware/calendar.html#sharing-calendars

@tcit Thank you for your response. I had read that part of the Manual, and many posts, but still can’t fathom out how to make it work.

I seem to be missing something here, probably me not explaining too well.
Set up new Contacts in User account, email only. (Done)
Create a Group of these contacts. (Done)
Add this Group to ‘Share Calendar’. (Done)

What happens next?
When I create a new event, are the Contacts emailed? (not seen anything)
How does a Contact get to see the Calendar if the link isn’t shared?

A Shared Calendar can be seen and edited in another Users Account if the Calendar is shared with that User, but I can’t seem to progress on the ‘email only Contacts’.

The only way forward seems to be to add the ‘email Contacts’ as full blown Users and limit what Apps they can see.

Thank you,
Colin J

I read too fast and didn’t understand external users group, sorry.

This is unfortunately not possible at the moment, follow the following issue for updates:

Thank you again for your help!

I had read a lot and probably confused myself. I did see that there is an outstanding issue, but couldn’t understand whether it was still the case as some ‘answers’ seemed to imply it was fixed.

I will make the ‘externals’ Internal!!

Great Application, really appreciate all the hard work Developers put in!