Triggering Cron jobs

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 23.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): Linux 4.4.302-icpu-083 x86_64
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): unknown
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.0.17

The issue you are facing:

I’m only using Nextcloud as a storage on a hosted webspace which has PHP and a database, I don’t have access to the server. Nevertheless, I assumed setting the Background tasks to “Cron” would work out. Now I’ve checked the Nextcloud admin settings page and saw the warning that “some tasks haven’t run for 4 years”. I manually called the cron.php URL a few times and then set up a cron job on my own server that simply calls the URL every 5 minutes.

It now seems down to “haven’t run for 3 years”, but I wonder whether I can accelerate stuff a little?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): Y

Well, after a while with WebCron it was down to 14 days. But now it’s stuck there, it’s 22 days now.

Perhaps some hints in the logs. An app might use too many resources, so the cronjob gets killed after some time and does not finish. If you have the news app or the previewgenerator, check if there are related errors, perhaps try to disable them temporarily.

On the long term, it’s possible that you run on certain hosted environment in limits that you can’t control.

Thanks! The logs from April 23rd (that’s when “some job” ran the last time, as stated in the tooltip) showed an error with some plugin and a warning. I just ran the update to 24.0.1. Now it jumped back to May 8th, but I can’t see anything in the logs anymore from then since the update ran.

Maybe I’ll get a new error message eventually.