Translation knowledge (valid for the entire Nextcloud project) - Wiki

Can you elaborate on this section?

Luckily every week we get new language requests. Great. But do not simply accept it.
Please check if similar languages are already there. If so, check the team size and send a personal message to the language requester. Tell him/her about the language you found, provide link to team and ask her/him to join named team.

I requested to add Zulu with the intent of contributing a translation. My request wast declined without any information. The only similar language listed on Transifex is Swahili but it’s 0% translated. On what basis was the request to add Zulu declined?

Hello @fredmb ,

it has been me declining your request.
Last year we had more than 200 requests and not only one was serious.
Unfortunately I am not able to add any comment when accepting or declining language requests. That is poor on Transifex side (already requested improvements there).

Please add your request again and I will happily check on it.

Cheers

1 Like

Just added Zulu and added you as a reviewer to the language team.
See https://www.transifex.com/nextcloud/teams/64236/zu_ZA/

Enjoy localizing Nextcloud. Also wrote a post at Mastodon to promote it and attract more volunteers.

3 Likes

Dear MARK @rakekniven, I’ve a recurring issue with transifex when translating Nextcloud into Arabic and I’m not sure if this applies to other languages too. That is, when I focus on some untranslated phrases and start providing my translation the “Save to Transifex” button appears in unavailable grey mode and the translation wont be saved. See this example below:

Hello @Ali_Mohammed ,

normally you should be able to press the save button for untranslated strings.
Would you mind telling me your username at Transifex? I will check you role and see if I can provide any reason.

The link you named brings me to the general project translation overview. I did not provide any value regarding your issue.

It is AlMoWe.

As an example, you can look to any of the only few untranslated phrases of Nextcloud into Arabic.

1 Like

Thank you Mark, It worked finnaly the way you described.

However, this Plural thing doesn’t work the same way in all languages. For instance, in Arabic, there is a singular (for 1) called mofrad, a special plural called mothanna (for 2), another plural (from 3 till 10) and anoth plural (from 11 and up).

For instance, 1 user → مستخدم
2 users → مستخدمان/ مستخدمَيْن
3-10 users → مستخدمِين / مستخدمون
> 10 users → مستخدم
and to make it more complicated, we take into consideration only the last two (least significat) digits.

The plural handling is done by Transifex.
For german it works pretty well.

If it does not fit for arabic you have to contact Transifex and describe the issue.
Good starting point is https://community.transifex.com/ .

2 Likes

Added section “Specifications” to wiki post. Please note in the translation.

1 Like

Hi! I have made translations to the Nextcloud dialogs library, Nextcloud vue library and other libraries into Ukrainian. However, the translations do not appear with new releases. What is wrong with them?

1 Like

Hi @rakekniven
Thanks for sharing details of the translation process, but I still have a question.

I found many strings in my NextCloud instance that not translated yet. First I edited some json and js files in some l10n directories in my /var/www/site.com/ paths, but I wasn’t success to use them.

After that, I searched about how to translate this app correctly and found this document about adding translation in Transifex, but It is so confusing.

I’ve joined at Transifex and added some missed translation or wrong strings in my language to it.

But How can I have these new translated strings in my instance before accepting or releasing new version of Nextcloud? I couldn’t find any document about how to use them.

Please help me to contribute in your community and use my translations as soon as possible in my instance.

Hello Mohammad,

the process is currently as follows:

1. the developers write code including text strings and the code is available on GitHub.
  2. a bot transfers the text strings from GitHub to the translation platform (here Transifex.com)
  3. the translators produce the translations
  4. the translations are transferred from Transifex to GitHub by a bot
  5. the processes of the CI build new versions of apps
  6. after the release of app versions, the translations are available to the user

These steps are described in simplified form. More complex processes follow in several steps.

I can’t say whether changing the js and json files locally is enough.
@nickvergessen You can certainly contribute something here.

I always follow and recommend the way to make any changes on Transifex and wait for a release of the app.

yes, basically taking them from the repository/source code can be done locally to show some missing translations before a release.

The questions was more about how to modify strings on local installations.
Is it enough to change js and json files of an app?

yes (Post must be 10 characters…)

Haigh,
I requested to translate Nextcloud into Irish but was refused on a number of times without any reason. I have already completed Irish for Uptime Kuma Added Irish language by aindriu80 · Pull Request #4487 · louislam/uptime-kuma · GitHub and Dockge Dockge/dockge — Irish @ Uptime Kuma Weblate

Can you please provide some feedback

1 Like

Hello Aindriú @aindriu ,

the translation platform Transifex has a big issue if it comes to project language requests.
I had to cancel requests on a daily base, your latest requests are open.

I see two (?!):

• Irish (ga)

• Irish (Ireland) (ga_IE)

I can add the first one.

Should I do that?

Cheers,
Mark

btw. I am really happy to see a “real” request and send heartly greetings to the island I love the most.