Transitioning from AIO to a native installation

I initially set up my Nextcloud server with AIO, because I didn’t really know what I was doing and it was in the tutorial video I watched. Now I want to try setting Nextcloud up to run natively on Ubuntu server (it’s currently running on KUbuntu and it’s being a bit buggy), but I’m not clear on whether I’ll be able to restore from the Borg backup with no problems. The main thing I’m concerned about is my files and users, since I haven’t done much configuration and I don’t care about restoring my apps. Has anyone done this? (I’m going to be putting a new distro on the machine, so once I start, there’s no going back!)

Hi, what exactly is buggy?

KUbuntu itself. It’s nothing to do with the question, I was just explaining why I wanted to change.

1 Like

I’ve found this answer for you: Migration to a different appliance/Nextcloud installation · nextcloud/all-in-one · Discussion #1492 · GitHub

Thank you. I will try and use that information to do a full backup as the instructions say. For future reference, however, would the automatic Borg backup be sufficient or not?

Sorry I am still confused what you want to do. So you want to keep using AIO also on the new server?

Sorry, let me rephrase it and see if this makes more sense. I have a folder backup/borg containing:
-data folder
config
hints.1824
index.1824
integrity.1824
nonce
README

Let’s pretend that I have this saved on a USB key, and my server crashes irreparably. Would I be able to use that backup folder to restore my files and users on a native installation of Nextcloud?

You would be able to easily restore the backup into a new AIO instance.

However for a native instance you will lose AIOs built-in borg backup solution. So you would need to restore the files from the borg archive manually via command line. So if you plan to migrate to a native installation I would recommend to follow the link above that I’ve send.

Okay, thank you, that’s all I needed to know!