Tracking File Downloads in NextCloud

Hi everyone,

I’m using Nextcloud for collaborative file work through shared links. I’m wondering if there’s a way to determine when a specific user has downloaded a document from a shared folder. This information would be invaluable for monitoring file access.

If anyone knows of a solution or has encountered similar scenarios, I’d greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance!

lorqnz

There are apps to notify about the downloads, and also set a limit of number of downloads:

@lorqnz
I don’t know your exact use case. You are welcome to describe it. However, it may make sense to copy the files to a folder that you can share using the extended sharing rights “Read” and “Delete”. The recipient can then delete the files themselves and after a time you can control if the folder is really empty.

However, you can also assign folders and files with different shares, passwords and expiration dates and label them for the respective users. With an expiration date, you then don’t have to worry about anything. And if the person has not downloaded the files and still needs them, they can get in touch with you.

Limiting the number of downloads usually makes no sense. Only if you distribute the link publicly somewhere and there are other approaches e.g. checking HTTP referer.