Total User Quota

Quite a simple request, really.

Is there any way to find out what the combined total quota of all users is?

As I allot users space on our NextCloud instance, I just want to easily keep track of how much has been allotted, to ensure that I keep ahead of the game adding new disks. So that I’m not, you know, handing out more quota than is actually available.

Of course, I could manually add it all up myself user-by-user, but this seems like something very basic that should be in NextCloud itself somewhere.

If there actually isn’t anything already in place and I’ve just missed it, perhaps it could simply be a “total quota” box at the top of the “Users” page, so you can see at a glance.

Indeed, make it a “used / total” bar and that’ll allow admins to very easily see at a glance what the storage situation is.

For fun, colour code it green, and it can turn amber and red as storage gets low to indicate a “increase disk capacity now” warning.

+1 for this!

I’m searching for the same Thing :slightly_frowning_face:

Settings > Management > Information > Storage

grafik

Hi @j-ed,

thanks, this is helpful!

It would still be interessting to see, what the sum of all assigned user quotas is. That way you would know, if you could possible run out of storage or not.

Ah, it’s good to see that the information is available.

(In the English version of Nextcloud, the route is “Settings > Administration > Monitoring > Storage” - but I’m guessing you were just translating what you saw in the German version to English.)

I still think that my idea of having it as a colour-coded “progress bar” at the top of the “Users” screen would be the more user-friendly interface. But, hey, as long as it’s there and I can make use of it then that’s what actually matters. It can be made nice and pretty later.

Danke.

You’re absolutely right :wink: BTW, you can use the API to monitor your environment/system with e.g. Nagios and get pro-active alerts. This might be better than checking the thresholds manually.

I’m not sure how you would count total provisioned quota if you set any accounts to unlimited. Another thing that might be worth mentioning is that it’s common to over provision because some users will never use the maximum. There’s nothing wrong with assigning 20 users a quota of 100GB each when you only have a total of 1TB capacity, as long as you monitor usage regularly :wink:
So no single user can ever go above 100GB, but that allows “power users” to use more than the average, while others use a minimal amount and it can balance out.

As far as I can tell, the “Free space” includes all the files in the bin. So isn’t the same as the total space minus the sum of allocated files.

See also the usage report app https://apps.nextcloud.com/apps/user_usage_report with documentation with the source https://github.com/nextcloud/user_usage_report.
This command-line app creates a csv spreadsheet file which makes it easy to sum up quotas and allocated space.
As you say, it would be nice to have this available on the web interface.