Timeout for certain countries

Nextcloud version (eg, 20.0.5): 24.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 20.04): 22.04.1
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.52
PHP version (eg, 7.4): 8.1

The issue you are facing:

I have an access problem. Our nextcloud server (self hosted) is in Germany.
From some countries the access results in a timeout.
I have tested via VPN. Czech Republic, Hong-Kong, Sweden and USA worked.
Israel and the Philippines do not work.

What could be the reason for this?

First and foremost your provider may be the correct authority to ask about it.

Which provider do you mean? Internet Service Provider?
The Nextcloud provider is usā€¦

I think your hosting provider e.g. Hetzner, Strato, ā€¦

But maybe the access from Israel and Philippines works, too.
Maybe it is a problem with your VPN provider.

It is very unlikely that there is a routing problem between e.g. Israel and your server. Then more likely between the ASN of the Israel provider and the ASN of your provider. That again seems quite unlikely to me. Thousands or millions of systems would have to be affected.

Autonomous system (Internet) - Wikipedia (english)
Autonomes System ā€“ Wikipedia (german)

We actually have customers in Israel and the Philippines.

Ok. Maybe they can make a traceroute.

Windows cmd:
tracert name-of-your-nextcloud

Also check tracert from other locations to compare (e.g. at home)

1 Like

Yes, your ISP

traceroute.pdf (22.1 KB)
Here are a few traceroute tests (Hong Kong, Sweden, US and Israel).

Thanks. The last hop is form all sources the same. After that the traceroute does not help (i think Telekom blocks traceroute). Sorry. But it seems to be a problem at Telekom or in the web application / server firewall.

1 Like

Itā€™s the ISP! Tried to access our company website (not the cloud!) and got a timeout as well.
Now Iā€™m waiting for feedback from Israel if our partner having the same troubles.

traceroute_il.pdf (15.0 KB)

Strange. My contact in Israel confirmed that they can access our company website.
And now I can access the website too via Israel-VPN but our cloud is still not accessible.
Got another traceroute to our cloud and our website attached.

Seems to be different ISP. Maybe problem at one provider.

But nextcloud access problem remains either way. (Iā€™m talking about Israel)

are both Nextcloud and the company website hosted on the same ip range? If not, this doesnā€™t say much. Also, your contact in Israel would most likely access your Nextcloud from a different IP range than you would over the VPN.

Are you using something like CrowdSec on your server or anything else in front of your server that does some magic filtering or geo-blocking? If not, the problem is most likely not on your end.

No, they are not hosted on the same ip range. We got a web hoster for our comapny site and the nextcloud is hosted in-house.

No, Iā€™m not using any filtering or geo-blocking, thereā€™s just a firewall appliance.

Check logs on firewall.

1 Like

Shouldnā€™t I find the last ā€˜hop addressā€™ of my traceroute find in the firewall logs?..

Hopefully you find deny entries from Israel.

2 Likes

And on that firewall appliance no load balancing, proxying, filtering etc is beeing doneā€¦?

Nope, you can only see the IP address that initiated the connection, which would be the address your VPN provider assigned to you in Israel, respectively the IP address of the internet connection of your contact there. If there are no deny entries, you could also look at the logs of the web server. If you donā€™t see anything there either, I would ask the ISPā€¦

1 Like

It is solved!
Turned out there was a country filter activated on the firewall. Traceroute was a great help.
Thanks to everyone for participating.

2 Likes