Time to update: 16.0.5 and 15.0.12 are here!

Originally published at: https://nextcloud.com/blog/time-to-update-16.0.5-and-15.0.12-are-here/

New minor releases of the Nextcloud server have been made available. As always, these include stability and security improvements that are designed to be a safe and quick upgrade.

Running web facing software without regular updates is risky. Please stay up to date with Nextcloud releases of both the server and its apps, for the safety of your data! Customers can always count on our upgrade support if needed!

Nextcloud 14: end of its public support cycle.

Remember, Nextcloud 14 is no longer maintained. If you would like to stay in this version and continue to get security and bug fixes you can inquire for a Nextcloud Subscription.

Nextcloud 16.0.5: changes (latest version)

The roughly 100 changes for Nextcloud 16.0.5 are quite minor, with over half being updates to shipped libraries. The rest fixes a wide variety of small issues. For example, the audit log now also covers email shares, it is now possible to have hidden SMB shares (those ending with $), a fix for color contrast, a name change of our current text editor to Pain text editor to avoid confusion with our new Text app and more.

You can find the full 16.0.5 and 15.0.12 changelogs on our website..

Stay safe: keep your server up-to-date!

Minor Nextcloud releases are security and functionality bug fixes, not rewrites of major systems that risk user data! We also do extensive testing, both in our code base and by upgrading a series of real-world systems to the test versions. This ensures that upgrades to minor releases are painless and reliable. As the updates not only fix feature issues but also security problems, it is a bad idea to not upgrade!

This is, of course, also true for apps: Keeping them updated has security benefits, besides the new features and other bug fixes.

If you are maintaining a mission-critical Nextcloud system for your enterprise, it is highly recommended that you get yourself some insurance (and job security… who gets blamed if the file handling system isn’t working as expected?). A hotline to the core Nextcloud developers is the best guarantee for reliable service for your users, and the job safety of you as system administrator.

Really, Pain text editor? :smiley: This typo made my day :smiley:

(However, it looks like this change was already part of NC16.0.4.) - never mind. Looks like there have been additional changes. All good :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for the news. Looking forward to another smooth update and the latest version :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello,
is there a tutorial to upgrade from 16.0.4 to 17.0 ?

17 is only in rc2 right now. You can go in and change the channel to beta and get it if you like. It is quite simple. But keep in mind that it is a release candidate so stuff might break. And some apps is marked as not tested with 17 yet

After updating Nextcloud to 16.0.5 it warns Me that README.md fails integrity check.

ok, I’m in stable, when 17.0 will be relesed, NC will propose it ?

Upgrade the right click app.

Readme.md gives no warnings in my installation

Thx, it did the trick.

Theming is not working after upgrade on 16.0.5.
FF shows a bunch of CSP errors on js files, but then loads the same resources. But theming doesn’t work.

How many days until the Docker images are uploaded this time? The average release-to-image time has been about three days in the past; that should probably become part of the release scripts, don’t you think?

1 Like

We are still sitting on 10.0.6 because of the long-standing SMB bug. Can anyone comment on whether this has been fixed?

Please have a look at 16.0.4 missing from Docker Hub · Issue #839 · nextcloud/docker · GitHub fore more information.

tl;dr nextcloud is an offical docker hub image. it needs to be approved by the docker hub maintainers: Update nextcloud image by tilosp-bot · Pull Request #6693 · docker-library/official-images · GitHub

1 Like

I had to disable the nextcloud_announcements App because it spammed my logfile with following error in a 30 seconds interval:

[no app in context] Error: Symfony\Component\Routing\Exception\RouteNotFoundException: Unable to generate a URL for the named route "ocs.provisioning_api.AppsController.disable" as such route does not exist. at <<closure>>

0. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php line 337
    Symfony\Component\Routing\Generator\UrlGenerator->generate("ocs.provisioning_api.AppsController.disable", {app: "nextcloud_announcements"}, 1)
 1. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/CachingRouter.php line 60
    OC\Route\Router->generate("ocs.provisioning_api.AppsController.disable", {app: "nextcloud_announcements"}, false)
 2. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/URLGenerator.php line 95
    OC\Route\CachingRouter->generate("ocs.provisioning_api.AppsController.disable", {app: "nextcloud_announcements"}, false)
 3. /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/nextcloud_announcements/lib/Notification/Notifier.php line 89
    OC\URLGenerator->linkToOCSRouteAbsolute("provisioning_api.AppsController.disable", {app: "nextcloud_announcements"})
 4. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Notification/Manager.php line 226
    OCA\NextcloudAnnouncements\Notification\Notifier->prepare(OC\Notification\Notification {}, "de")
 5. /var/www/html/nextcloud/apps/notifications/lib/Controller/EndpointController.php line 92
    OC\Notification\Manager->prepare(OC\Notification\Notification {}, "de")
 6. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 166
    OCA\Notifications\Controller\EndpointController->listNotifications("v2")
 7. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Http/Dispatcher.php line 99
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->executeController(OCA\Notifications\Controller\EndpointController {}, "listNotifications")
 8. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/App.php line 126
    OC\AppFramework\Http\Dispatcher->dispatch(OCA\Notifications\Controller\EndpointController {}, "listNotifications")
 9. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/AppFramework/Routing/RouteActionHandler.php line 47
    OC\AppFramework\App::main("OCA\\Notifications\\Controller\\EndpointController", "listNotifications", OC\AppFramework\DependencyInjection\DIContainer {}, {apiVersion: "v2", _route: "ocs.notifications.Endpoint.listNotifications"})
10. <<closure>>
    OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler->__invoke({apiVersion: "v2", _route: "ocs.notifications.Endpoint.listNotifications"})
11. /var/www/html/nextcloud/lib/private/Route/Router.php line 297
    call_user_func(OC\AppFramework\Routing\RouteActionHandler {}, {apiVersion: "v2", _route: "ocs.notifications.Endpoint.listNotifications"})
12. /var/www/html/nextcloud/ocs/v1.php line 82
    OC\Route\Router->match("/ocsapp/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications")
13. /var/www/html/nextcloud/ocs/v2.php line 24
    require_once("/var/www/html/nextcloud/ocs/v1.php")

GET /nextcloud/ocs/v2.php/apps/notifications/api/v2/notifications
from 192.168.178.83 by admin at 2019-09-27T09:31:26+02:00

An github issue exists already:
https://github.com/nextcloud/server/issues/17289

Time to get a heart attack!

today i wanted to update 16.0.4 to 16.0.5 but NC updated to 17.0.0
As i ever was in the stable channel i could not explain myself why this happened.
I am using the techandme-VM with the update-script.

After the update was finished most of the Apps were missing and there was the need for manual installation (copied from backup, manually installed from github).

I am not happy with that situation but anyhow it looks working for the moment.

Unable to upgrade, in browser upgrade just refreshes the page, terminal:
$ sudo -u www-data php occ update:check
Nextcloud 16.0.5 is available. Get more information on how to update at https://docs.nextcloud.com/server/16/admin_manual/maintenance/upgrade.html.
Update for metadata to version 0.10.0 is available.
Update for notes to version 3.0.3 is available.
Update for onlyoffice to version 3.0.2 is available.
4 updates available
$ sudo -u www-data php occ upgrade
Nextcloud is already latest version