Through HTTPS: Missing the customization of the login screen and the display of some icons and fields (but invisible locations are clickable) - Since my first installation from NC13 to NC15 - Reacts differently according to the shared web hosting service

Hello @tflidd and thank you very much for your help.

It’s strange, with https you get to see the black wallpaper of the login screen, with a black logo in the middle? Same if you browse direct https?

On the other hand, it is curious and it is perhaps an idea, with Internet Explorer 11 the page in http is displayed well, while the page with https displays the message “Can not reach this page”.

And with Edge, the login page looks oddly good with and without the httpS. But in both cases it is impossible to connect. It returns a blank form .

For the installation that works well in Paris, it also works well with IE11 in both cases. On the other hand with Edge it makes the same impossibility to connect.

In advance thank you and good Christmas :santa:

I just checked on the Firefox browser. I didn’t notice that you have a specific theme there. Can you try to disable your theme and only use the default one. In this case, does everything work properly and does not show any of the issues you metioned?

For the theming, do you just use the app to change the color and logo or do you change other things as well?

Thanks for your help :grinning:

To try in http, you have to arbod browse by http, without cache. :wink: Otherwise the cache remembers https rules and automatically redirects them (without customization).

I only use the Theming app. I just disable it. No change except the appearance inside, once connected, which took into account the favicon and the color of the theme.

An illustration inside, we can see that icons are missing via https. Including those in the top right next to the user icon.

The customization of the login page has never worked on this shared web hosted server (since NC13). On the other hand, the icons inside have been discarded since the update to NC14.

Maybe a call, protocol or rule has changed in the code?

Can I reactivate the Theming app, if the link is isolated, so that we can continue to look for the difference between the 2 web addresses that I mentioned above?

If you right-click where the symbol normally is, you can inspect the element and it shows you the reference in the source code. It looks like these symbols are represented by the default app-symbol.
Are the loaded resources blocked, check the network log of your browser. And what about add/js-blocker? They show that certain resources are blocked.

I’m sorry but I do not know how to report the network log of my browser. :confused: Can you guide me?
I know to open the inspector with F12 but after I am lost. And when I try to select text it moves the tags. :pensive:

I tried inactivating NoScript and uBlock Origin, it does not change anything.

And everything is configured exactly the same for both sites. Just the execution does not work the same and I do not know why.

nb: I have erased the name of the folders to respect the confidentiality but it is displayed well. No other changes.

ps : I reactivated the Theming app to have the same config on both sides.

I may have found the log. I opened a window displaying the DOM properties. I refresh the page and I got the following lines (sorry french Firefox):

Content Security Policy: La directive « child-src » est obsolète. Veuillez utiliser la directive « worker-src » pour contrôler des workers ou la directive « frame-src » pour contrôler des images.
Échec du chargement pour l’élément <script> dont la source est «  ». files:84:1
JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 1.4.0 core.js:7:542
unreachable code after return statement[En savoir plus] merged.js:1566:4
window.controllers/Controllers est obsolète. Veuillez ne pas l’utiliser pour détecter l’agent utilisateur (UA). merged.js:2176
SyntaxError: missing } after function body[En savoir plus] accessibility:5:2 note: { opened at line 1, column 12accessibility:1:12
Échec du chargement pour l’élément <script> dont la source est «  ». files:84:1
New search handler registered search.js:67:4
querying Whats New data was successful: nocontent merged-template-prepend.js:4616:4
undefined

And in the inspector above:

<div class="crumb svg crumbhome"><a href="/index.php/apps/files?dir=/" class="icon-home">Home</a><span style="display: none;"></span></div>

<a href="#" class="button new" data-original-title="" title="">
	<span class="icon icon-add"></span>
	<span class="hidden-visually">New</span>

Can it help?
Sorry if I’m a little newbie

If you inspect the element, do you see something like this among the styling?

.icon-home {
    background-image: url('/nextcloud/core/css/../img/places/home.svg?v=1');

If you have two times a ?v=abc... in the url, it could be this bug:

On the same button I find the following information:

.icon-home {
    background-image: var(--icon-home-000);
}

Otherwise I just noticed, when I go on style editor and I refresh the page, that there was a line that appeared with the message (translate from french):
The style sheet could not be loaded.

By the way icons-vars.css and styles indicate 0 rule.

It looks like you found the issue. In you config.php do you have set the correct urls, webroot, …?

and

Can you execute the occ command from terminal?

1 Like

Thank you very much for helping us! :grinning:

In my config.php there is this line among those you mentioned:

• ‘overwrite.cli.url’ => ‘’,

Do I have to add and do something with these lines like this?

• ‘overwritehost’ => ‘’,
  • ‘overwriteprotocol’ => ‘https’,

Unfortunately, we do not have access to OCC commands on our shared hosting.
But we can execute SQL commands via phpmyadmin as explained and resolved in this topic:

We manage to get by this way for table updates after NC updates.

Can you get out of it the same way?

In advance thanks again and cheers :clinking_glasses::kissing_heart:

No, the additional overwrite*-stuff probably wouldn’t help. Are the config.php files identical?

Why didn’t you take a VPS server at OVH? Then you have full access and can properly configure Nextcloud. Take all the time you already spent on this stuff, multiply it by a random salary per hour, and you could already run the virtual server for a couple of months. And over time, when your setup grows larger, the upgrade won’t become easier on the hosted environment.

Yes, the 2 config.php files are the same except databases, domain names, logins and passwords.

I thought a lot about the VPS option. There are several points that made me disillusioned. It’s a bit more expensive. It is not for me but for small associations that I help voluntarily. And finally, it’s not my job and it’s already taking a lot of time to understand and make it work. If it was necessary that I learn, configure and maintain all software servers I think I will not get out and I end up burn out. Which would not be good for anyone, I think.

So if it could work on this shared server it would be so great! :pray:

Then, I’m really curious to know why, while it’s exactly the same, it works on the servers of Paris and not those of Gravleines.

I tell myself that there must be a solution?
Do you think you can help me?

Thank you again for all that you do for me, you are also the first who answered my post, you are an angel.

ps : I am trying to become an organic and sustainable farmer :metal::sunflower::honeybee::sun_with_face:

I am running out of ideas. Perhaps some expert on css and caching can read more in the logs and point to a bug or something. But unless there are a few setups involved, the developers won’t spend much time on solving your particular issue (or you get business support). In new versions of NC, there can be some corner cases like yours that make problems. So there are perhaps related bugs and it will be fixed in the future for you.

Since you are on a hosted environment, even knowing the reason could mean that you are not able to fix it.

It’s certainly up to what you can and what you want to do. Personally, I would only use system with full access, this way, I can maintain NC effiently, updatas and upgrades only take a couple of minutes. Instead of wasting many hours or days on some hosting environment, I’d rather give a 60€ donation each year to avoid such issues. Nextcloud as a tool might be helpful enough, that even a small association can afford the few euros per month. But I understand your concern of managing a whole system if you have nether done that.

I don’t know where you are located, but if you were in France, you could put a small device at someone’s home with fiber connection.

No problem, thank you very much :slightly_smiling_face:

Today I will not be able to stay, I have to clean my apartment for my inventory in 3h. I had the fiber in town, but I’m moving to live in the countryside and I will not have it anymore, just ADSL.

Today I know that we are about ten to meet this problem and to seek help on the forums. A little more each day. But I was the only one, at first sight, to have at the same time a host in Paris and a host in Gravelines; and therefore to be able to identify that there was a site where it works well and a site where it does not work.

With OVH who told me that Paris servers would migrate to Gravelines, I imagine that we will be more likely to end up with the same problem.

But above all, I hope we will find a solution!
If someone has a new idea, I’m interested. And tomorrow I will resume the course of the discussion.

Many kisses @tflidd and thanks again for your help

Hello,

First of all, I wish you all happy new year! :v:

Always looking for a solution, I just found this post:

Do you think this may be related to my problem?
Can I try and-or fix this with a configuration option in config.php?

Another symptom:
Shows the folder icon in black as it should work in HTTPS but is currently displayed in blue (default) in the interface:

[quote=“ffs69, post:25, topic:38981”]
Gravelines:

And I just find someone else who seems to have the same problem:

Is it possible to adapt-run the commands below via phpmyadmin or a compiled file? :
sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance: repair
sudo -u www-data php maintenance: mimetype: update-js

Sorry a lot of information and questions at once, and thanks in advance, kisses

Hi ffs69,
Thanks for your whishes.
I also wish the best to you and everyone here, great things and fun !

I tried, with poor conviction, adding all this “overwrite” stuff in my config.php (already had overwrite.cli.url and added overwritehost, overwriteprotocol and overwritewebroot).
No success, the GUI problem is still the same except I did’t theme files and folders icons like you.

Don’t know about an OCC trick without SSH.

Good luck and cheers !

(I’m thinking of moving to another web host, as my OVH plan will expire soon…)

Re,

Courage to us @CFelten, to victory! :v:

I tried to compare the 2 SSH certificates with https://crt.sh/, it seems to me that they are configured the same.

I also found this tutorial:

https://bayton.org/docs/nextcloud/installing-nextcloud-on-ubuntu-16-04-lts-with-redis-apcu-ssl-apache/#comment-1250

I tried to add:

'htaccess.RewriteBase' => '/',

at my config.php, I waited 10 minutes, no difference.

On the other hand I do not know if I can, and how, execute the command by phpmyadmin or with a compiled executive file, and if it could help?:

sudo -u www-data php occ maintenance: update: htaccess

Otherwise I know that Internet Explorer is rotten and obsolete (:face_vomiting:). But I tell myself that it can always give additional information.
And as I said, as much with IE11 I can access my Nextcloud of Paris in httpS without problem. Impossible on the Gravelines Nextcloud, while the http works. Probably the malfunction is related.
I obtain an error message:

Can not reach this page
The connection to the website was reset.
Error Code: INET_E_DOWNLOAD_FAILURE

Finally it seems that there was a “similar” and more generalized problem at the beginning of Nextcloud 12, which would have been solved since Nextcloud 12.0.5.

Maybe there is a research idea on this side as well?

I hope that with all this information someone will succeed in helping us out. We must not be far away ^^ And I remain motivated and confident.

May the Force stay with us :metal::man_dancing::comet:

1 Like

Just out of curiosity, because it is configured the same way on my 2 web hosting and it works well on one of them, but sometimes a server setting may differ and interact?

Currently, permissions are:

• nextcloud folder = 705,
    • all folders (except below) = 755,
      • data folder = 770,
        • subfolders = 705 and files inside are 604,
      • apps downloaded online = 705,
    • all files (except below) = 644,
      • config.php = 640,
      • nextcloud.log = 640.

Do you think it could be related and should I change all the permissions to put all folders on 750 and all files on 640?

Same for the data folder, its subfolders and files, as well as .htaccess and config.php files?

Finally, is there a risk with group permissions on shared hosting?

PS : Is it the same for you @CFelten ? Have you ever tried to change permissions?

I already tried playing with permissions in the past but it did not solve my problems.
Now, for my current NC instance, I did not change permissions after install so the files and folders are “out of the box”.

Thanks for the info @CFelten , indeed, no change by hacking these settings.
In case you leave OVH, will you be able to keep us informed of your reflection and your choice?

Otherwise to keep trying to find help. I do not know why I did not do it before, could not it have helped to go faster!?

I just changed my config.php to have a log debug level.

Here are the lines I get:

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/icons/icons-vars.css.gzip (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/icons/icons-vars.css.gzip)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/images/background (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/images/background)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12332 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12332)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12332 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12332)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-calendar (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-calendar)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12331 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12331)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12331 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12331)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-calendar (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-calendar)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-calendar (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-calendar)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-calendar (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-calendar)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/icons/icons-vars.css.gzip (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/icons/icons-vars.css.gzip)

• Debug core SCSSCacher: /apps/calendar/css/public/app.min.scss compiled and successfully cached

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12330 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12330)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12329 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12329)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12328 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12328)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12330 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12330)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css.gzip (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css.gzip)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12282 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12282)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12283 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12283)

• Debug no app in context Failed to get icon file /img/app-dark.svg

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12329 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12329)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css.deps (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css.deps)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12328 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12328)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/css/calendar/029b-561c-app.min.css)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/images/background (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/images/background)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12326 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12326)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12327 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12327)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12326 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12326)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12327 (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/preview/12327)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-core (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-core)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-core (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-core)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-core (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/favIcon-core)

• Debug no app in context No cache entry found for /appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-core (storage: local::/home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/data/, internalPath: appdata_xxxxxxxxxx/theming/9/touchIcon-core)

• Debug core Scss is disabled for /home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/core/search/css/results.scss, ignoring

• Debug core Scss is disabled for /home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/core/css/jquery.ocdialog.scss, ignoring

• Debug core Scss is disabled for /home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/core/css/css-variables.scss, ignoring

• Debug core Scss is disabled for /home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/core/css/server.scss, ignoring

• Debug core Scss is disabled for /home/xxxxxxxx/www/nextcloud/core/css/jquery-ui-fixes.scss, ignoring

Thanks in advance, kisses :v: