This is mostly a rant about NextCloud

Alright, so I’ve successfully installed Nextcloud in multiple VMs in the past on Linode, all through the command line. I have recently gotten my home server and installed it there. I’m just getting errors over errors. “cant upload, no permission”- yet I’ve checked and all the permissions are correct for the nextcloud install. Then things like Could not create folder “New folder”. I cant find any issues, the log file is blank. I’ve reinstalled it via docker which also caused issues saying that port 443 was not open when it was, I did the domain skip, then one reboot of the machine and it was an internal error. I even reset the ubuntu install to the factory and still have the same issues. I’m just tried of this, I’ve troied over and over and i cant find any solution. I’ve looked at the help forums for the same issues but some of those issues are still unsolved and not working. At this point oim not sure what to do.

Please describe according to which instructions you proceeded. Do you really want to use Docker or not? And if so, according to which instructions. Regarding Nextcloud installation and Ubuntu without Docker you can look here. Works good for me with the same Nextcloud Debian installation guide.

How about using the support template and put as many information in as possible…?

I mean, I understand that it can be frustrating and overwhelming when starting out with your first home server, we’ve all been there, but your post contains virtually no information about your system or infrastructure, which makes it impossible for us to help you.

EDIT:

Two things come to mind that could cause this issue:

1. Networking / Firewall / Port Forwarding issue. Double check all the relevant settings on your hypervisor, in your VM, and on your router / firewall.

2. You are behind CGNAT, in which case you can’t do port forwarding.

I am using this for some of the install instructions, some of it I do off the knowledge i already have, and some of it I use the nextcloud docs. I’m done using docker as it just causes issues over issues for me.

For your first question/reply,
I would use the support template, however, when I looked up my issue. Not these exact ones as there were multiple issues. People would either have no response or some would say I’m not sure how to solve that issue.

Yeah, it’s just frustrating that I’ve been trying for so long and can’t get it to work. Some system info: HPE Proliant 360 Gen9, 128GB RAM, 2TB storage, 2 Xeon CPUs. I’m running Ubuntu Jammy 22.04 LTS with Pro installed. No VM or any VM software running.

For your second rely/question:
The firewall is off on the Ubuntu machine, it is port forwarded and active, as using a port checker its open. router does not have much of any info (spectrum). I’m not behind a CGNAT.

Definitely you would not ask for help if you know how to solve the problem :wink: but the fact is you are the only person who knows a lot about your setup and others only know what you post - so please use the support template and extend with your personal situation… repeat for for every single problem - ask one question at time and you help yourself and every person who tries to help you!

Are you using the datadirectory and default config.php parameters specified in those third party docs you referenced here as using?

If so, your log file should be /var/www/nextcloud/data/nextcloud.log presumably. Are you saying that file exists but is empty?

Was anything customized during your installation?

Did you try to use Nextcloud AIO? GitHub - nextcloud/all-in-one: Nextcloud AIO stands for Nextcloud All-in-One and provides easy deployment and maintenance with most features included in this one Nextcloud instance.

It takes all the trouble from you and automates updates, backup etc.

2 Likes

It seems to be a permissions thing.
Did you check the appamor-settings and the selinux-settings of your hostsystem ?

Regards
Karsten

Hi
So sorry to are having these issues. It is so frustrating when you can’t see why. Please answer the previous Scott if your log files are empty including the Apache ones.
Also your firewall cannot be both off and port forwarding 443.

The scan showing open ports could be on the machine but you router could have that port closed to the outside world. Also some installations of Debian and indeed Nextcloud install ufw. Have you explicitly set the rules rather than just adding it’s of so shouldn’t impact?

There’s lots of little things that can about but you have to help us to help you. It’ll work in the end.