The new standard in on-premises team collaboration: Nextcloud Hub

Think about it like Red Hat: They also donā€™t give you access to their binary repositories (well, they do, you can have a developer account and use most of it for dev purposes) but you can have all the source code and compile an OSS version like Centos and formerly Scientific Linux if you want to. It is not something ā€œpureā€ if you want to call it that way but it is still better than nothing.

And no, I do not like marketing hyperbole either. If there is too much of it something is always fishy. Sadly, too many do it these days.

Well, Iā€™m not insisting on opensource ā€œpurityā€, in the Richard Stallman sort of way. But I do think what we see here is something quite different than Redhat providing sourcecode rather than binaries. The key difference there is that, as you say, Redhat provides the full source from which one can compile fully-functional copies of the software. There is no deliberate hardcoded-limit to disadvantage the opensource version in favour of the paid proprietary versions, putting up a deliberate barrier for the community to try and circumvent. If they behaved like that, I think people would rightly take a very different view of them.

In this case, if OnlyOffice is truly committed to being opensource, then I think Nextcloud should remove the artificial limit in their fork, and OnlyOffice should have no objections. Exceptā€¦ I donā€™t think thatā€™s the way it is.

4 Likes

Itā€™s interesting how those limits are there for ā€œQuality of Serviceā€. Quality of service would be unlimited connections.

If anything, being unable to edit a document and having errors thrown because a few other people are editing a doc sort of goes against providing a quality experience.

Unlimited Connections, scale the hardware needed to support whatever number of connections you need should be the way it is done.

2 Likes

I saw the pricing and itā€™s still hugely too expansif : 1099$ for 1 year support for one server up to 50 connections at the same timeā€¦ LOL :joy: !
I would love to have 50 connections for free and the possibility to buy support for 500$/year ā€¦

$1099 for recompiled software with a few values changed.

1 Like

@Nemskiller @Beezus would you mind to continue those discussion at OnlyOffice Community Edition without 20 connections limitation? This thread was initially about Nextcloud Hub :wink: I know OnlyOffice is a part of Nextcloud Hub and the discussion about those kind of software and their license model seems to be fair but the limitations of their editions, pricing, etc fits better into the other thread. Thanks :+1:

1 Like

Crazy expensive? It equates to 1.80 usd per connection per month. It means that you can have more than 50 users. But say it would be 50 simultaneous users. A regular small business Ms office license costs more than that per month and that is for one user. So no it is not crazy expensive when you do the math.

1 Like

@SmallOne Would you mind to also use the other thread :wink: If you respond here they will probably answer and continue with a discussion about Microsofts license modell now :confused:

Moving over :slight_smile: I saw your reply after mine :slight_smile:

Yeah but when you have a bill of 0$ using LibreOfficeā€¦ itā€™s kind of crazy to put 1099$ just for a one year subscription to an helpdesk. Itā€™s 4,36$ per user per months if you are 21 usersā€¦ so more than Microsoft.
And yes itā€™s 50 concurrent connections and yes it depends on the health of your company.
But all my client will laugh at me when i will tell them you have to pay for this : 50 connections + 1 year support for 1 serverā€¦

That are the costs of outsourcing servers and service. Youā€™re speaking about 4,36 USD/month that are 3,93 EUR/month or 0,13 EUR/day (!!!). Believe me this is really cheap for a business service. It is all a question of how youā€™re selling it to your clients and what value it brings to the client :wink:

1 Like

There are plenty of open issues, but you canā€™t count like this, even if a bug is attributed doesnā€™t mean it is solved soon. There are also duplicates, no real bugs (configuration/other problem). I am speaking of bugs that have been reproduced by several people over a longer time. These bugs are sometimes hard to reproduce (it has just been observed by many people independently) and debugging will probably be time-consuming.

Hello,
Is it still true that OnlyOffice cannot natively work with .odt Open Document Format, also not in Nextcloud Hub?
I read that to work with .odt files, Onlyoffice converts the file and saves it in the same location as .docx and then you can edit it.

Correct?

Thanks!

1 Like

I cannot answer your question, but i would add another question:
Is it possible to install both Collabra and OnlyOffice and configure Nextcloud in a way, that Microsoft Office documents are opened with OnlyOffice and LibreOffice documents are opened with Collabra?

1 Like

Yes, OnlyOffice works with docx etc. internally. So odt gets converted.

On the OnlyOffice connector you can disable it working with odt etc. files, so yes you can probably use both. But I have not tried myself.

1 Like

You can have both installed and just select either Collabora or Onlyoffice to open it.

1 Like

http://www.planet-libre.org/?post_id=23083
French discription and screenshots of both working together.

2 Likes

I just tested Onlyoffice in a Seafile online demo, and it opened and saved odt files just fine, did not create a separate docx file.

Can anyone confirm this for Nextcloud?