Test our new work-in-progress upgrader script

Iirc the update Server URL is wrong and should be /updater_server/ I think

Documentation
https://docs.nextcloud.org/server/9/admin_manual/configuration_server/config_sample_php_parameters.html?highlight=config

Check if Nextcloud is up-to-date and shows a notification if a new version is available.
'updater.server.url' => 'https://updates.nextcloud.org/server/',

what is right?

I donā€™t know how current the documentation is, but I remember there was a discussion on github about the /server/ link being wrong.

ping @LukasReschke A word of wisdom please :smiley:

How close to shipping with a release is this script? I ask because I quite like my current install and donā€™t feel like spinning up a test for the sake of testing upgradesā€¦ so Iā€™m still updating manually every time.

The first step will be to make it available as an app for existing installs and it should be part of NC10.

2 Likes

I tried to switched the channel to daily and reloaded the page.
I got the message that there is a new version available.
I switched back to stable and reloaded and no message.

So i canā€™t upgrade from .52 to .53

That make kind of sense, doesnā€™t it?

Other than that you are all right: the updater script is far from stable atm. Which is why, the devs are working hard on improving it :slight_smile:

Sorry, that was just a typo.

Bear with me if this already has been answered somewher else. But was anyone able to upgrade to 9.0.53? Should this even work via the upgrader script?

I already upgraded my nextcloud installation from 9.0.51 to 9.0.52 with the upgrader script. And it worked very well. Recently I wanted to upgrade to 9.0.53 (security!) and tried to use the upgrader script (again). I am prompted with ā€œA new version is availableā€¦ā€ in the Admin-Settings, if i choose the ā€œdailyā€ update channel. (Why do I have to do this?) But if I ā€œopen the updaterā€ Iā€™m prompted with ā€œCurrent version is 9.0.52.0 No updates found online.ā€

Users, did this work for anybody? Devs, should this work atm (as itā€™s still beta)?

for me the upgrade to 9.0ā€¦53 didnā€™t work with the updater script.
i have done a manually update to get the security fixes

For me it also didnā€™t work. Iā€™ll do also a manual update.
Unfortunately there is no official comment about that.

Unfortunately the same situation. The update before worked flawlessly and now I do not even get an update notification neither the update itself. Shall we just wait?

Update worked after removing /assets and doing ā€œchown -R www-data:www-data /install-dir/ā€

9.0.52 (daily) Build:2016-08-08T23:01:06+00:00 7d028c250e7bc68778d137e4f71b119168703794

Havenā€™t installed the NC 10 RC1 yet, but it looks like that this new update script is not part of it. It seems like NC1 relies still on the old owncloud updater and this one didnā€™t work for me since Version 8 I guess. Pity.

First of all: I really like Nextcloud.

But I donĀ“t understand that whole thing about updating. So thereĀ“s a built-in updater. Fine. But it does not work at all. I tried all hints in this thread and still there is no update found. And when I choose daily there is an update found but it does not change anything.

So whats the problem to make a concrete statement about yes it works (and then how it works) or no, it does not work?

Reading the text at the beginning of this topic you think the updater HAS TO WORK as long as you follow the steps mentioned.

So could please someone officially make a statement about that? And if it does not work now: will it ever work and if yes when?

Or do I have to stay on the old Version forever (updating manually does not work on my Synology)?

Thank you in advance.

What problems do you have updating manually on a Synology. I also run NC on a Synology and updating manually works perfectly for me.

The daily build is not working for me either. The version-string in the version.php is 9,0,52,0, so it canā€™t update a current version 9.0.53. I reported this here:

DonĀ“t know the exact error anymore because I tested it a few days ago and after failing I switched back to the old files. It was something about permissions I think. Could try that again next weekend when I have more time.

Overall I think itĀ“s not the big user experience Nextcloud is always talking about what is happening in this thread. Still no official statement from the developers. And I mean hey, this is the official support forum and not a fanboy community.

There you need to give us more details. The missing permissions were created by the updater app?

Itā€™s still work in progress, letā€™s hope the developers return from their holidays soon :smiley:

You mentioned permission. After the installation, the documentation recommends to harden the permissions. Have you done that?
If so, you have to change them back in case of an update.