Talk Web showing blank page and no configuration options in admin settings for Talk

Nextcloud version (eg, 24.0.1): 28.0.3
Talk Server version (eg, 14.0.2): 18.0.5
Custom Signaling server configured: no
Custom TURN server configured: no
Custom STUN server configured: no

In case the web version of Nextcloud Talk is involved:
Operating system (eg, Windows/Ubuntu/…): Windows / MacOS
Browser name and version (eg, Chrome v101): Firefox 123.0.1 / Chrome 122.0.6261.129 / Edge / Safari

The issue I am facing:

Hey guys,

I’m currently facing the problem that I cannot configure Talk in Admin settings in Nextcloud. When opening the settings page, all headlines and descriptions are shown, but there are no fields or options to configure Talk. Even when opening Talk Web via menu, where all conversations and conferences should be shown, nothing pops up and besides the menu I can just see my background.

Funny thing is, when setting up a new nextcloud instance on a different server and opening Talk Web or Talk admin settings the first time, everything works until you close it without any changes and retry to configure it / open Talk again.

Am I missing any dependencies or hints I am not aware of?

Is this the first time you’ve seen this error? (Y/N): No

Steps to replicate it:

1. Setting up Nextcloud via zip package on apache2 webserver
  2. Login as superuser and install Talk
  3. First attempt of configure works, but after first try and no savings of any configurations, nothing works with Talk

The output of your Nextcloud log in Admin > Logging or errors in nextcloud.log in /var/www/:

The output of your Apache log in /var/log/apache2/error.log:

[Sun Mar 17 16:59:10.102074 2024] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 2942] (70008)Partial results are valid but processing is incomplete: [client 10.1.0.1:26838] AH01075: Error dispatching request to>
[Sun Mar 17 17:57:49.319611 2024] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 3091] (70008)Partial results are valid but processing is incomplete: [client 10.1.0.1:46964] AH01075: Error dispatching request to>
[Sun Mar 17 17:58:32.830246 2024] [proxy_fcgi:error] [pid 3009] (70008)Partial results are valid but processing is incomplete: [client 10.1.0.1:28514] AH01075: Error dispatching request to>

Your browser log if relevant (Browser log when opening Talk Web):

Content-Security-Policy: Ignorieren von "blob:" innerhalb script-src-elem: 'strict-dynamic' angegeben spreed
Die Ressource von "https://cloud.mycubhosting.de/apps/tasks/css/tasks-talk.css?v=b5ecd63e-62" wurde wegen eines MIME-Typ-Konfliktes ("text/html") blockiert (X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff).
spreed
JQMIGRATE: Migrate is installed, version 3.4.1 core-main.js:1:340586
Unified search initialized! core-unified-search.js:1:25672
[WARN] viewer: Some mimes were ignored because they are not enabled in the server previews config 
Object { app: "viewer", uid: "root", level: 2, ignoredMimes: (4) […] }
viewer-main.js:1:11571
OCA.Viewer initialized viewer-main.js:1:3947129
Mutations-Ereignisse sollten nicht mehr verwendet werden. Verwenden Sie MutationObserver stattdessen. onlyoffice-listener.js:1:2703
Uncaught SyntaxError: identifier starts immediately after numeric literal
talk-main.js:899:2549
session heartbeat polling started core-main.js:1:29528
OCA.Sharing.ShareSearch not ready deck-collections.js:1:171580
OCA.Sharing.ShareSearch not ready deck-talk.js:1:1400485
Registering notifications container as a menu notifications-node_modules_moment_locale_sync_recursive_-src_NotificationsApp_vue-data_image_svg_xml_base64-ab95a3.js:1:22783
Notifications permissions denied notifications-node_modules_moment_locale_sync_recursive_-src_NotificationsApp_vue-data_image_svg_xml_base64-ab95a3.js:1:27941
Polling interval updated to 30000 notifications-node_modules_moment_locale_sync_recursive_-src_NotificationsApp_vue-data_image_svg_xml_base64-ab95a3.js:1:27337
Started background fetcher as session_keepalive is enabled notifications-node_modules_moment_locale_sync_recursive_-src_NotificationsApp_vue-data_image_svg_xml_base64-ab95a3.js:1:24120
Search providers 
Array(13) [ {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, … ]
core-unified-search.js:1:14077
Got notification data, restoring default polling interval. notifications-node_modules_moment_locale_sync_recursive_-src_NotificationsApp_vue-data_image_svg_xml_base64-ab95a3.js:1:26417
Contacts 
Array(14) [ {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, {…}, … ]
core-unified-search.js:1:14188

​

If you need anything else, feel free to contact me! Thank you so much in advance!

UPDATE!

The settings page happens to work again. Today I tried the configuration again and I was able to configure STUN/TURN/HPB for Talk, but Talk is still not working.

UPDATE!

It seems like some stylesheets are not able to load perfectly:

Refused to apply style from ‘https://cloud.example.de/apps/tasks/css/tasks-talk.css?v=b5ecd63e-64’ because its MIME type (‘text/html’) is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled.

When opening the preview in Chrome console this file besides all of the others cannot be previewed.

I’m experiencing the same issue. ( Following )

The only reference in the codebase I could find that matches tasks-talk.*css – it’s a reference to scss file.

Reviewing this related article, I’m looking to see if there’s an issue in the scss which is likely used to compile the style sheet.

I’m not familiar with the codebase of NextCloud, but I’ll try to investigate it further.

I can get the error to resolve by copying the apps/tasks/css/tasks-talk.scss to apps/tasks/css/tasks-talk.css … but ultimately doesn’t fix the problem.

Looking at both Tasks and Talk neither have been recently updated , which makes me wonder if it’s not something else causing the issue such as a browser extension, cloudflare proxy… or something else entirely that I haven’t thought of yet.

Refused to apply style from ‘https://cloud.example.de/apps/tasks/css/tasks-talk.css?v=b5ecd63e-64’ because its MIME type (‘text/html’) is not a supported stylesheet MIME type, and strict MIME checking is enabled.

I think the tasks-talk.css issue is a red herring. It’s a known issue that is fixed, but pending release, and shouldn’t have the more serious side effect you’re seeing in the Admin interface.

Funny thing is, when setting up a new nextcloud instance on a different server and opening Talk Web or Talk admin settings the first time, everything works until you close it without any changes and retry to configure it / open Talk again.

Weird. I’m not having any luck replicating this behavior.

All the pieces of the UI that appear to be loading on that page okay for you are essentially static components.

Can you open up the Network tab in the browser console and see which requests are failing when this happens?

Do you have any warnings (or errors) under Administration settings->Overview?

Any other pages/bits of functionality appear to not work?

Are you doing any sort of caching on your reverse proxy?

I agree, the css issue is not related.

One observation I noticed is if I’m on the server hosting NextCLoud, I can see the Admin page fully populated for Talk. But if I’m on my laptop, the config fields for Talk are missing (as described in this issue). Not sure if that’s very helpful, just sharing an observation.

On both computers, I am seeing this error in the console.

I rebooted routers and server… Talk is working in browser (for now). No idea what was causing the issue. I will mention that my network was dragging unusually bad. Not sure if that’s related, but it’s working now.

Are you using different URLs? What’s different in these scenarios? A proxy? Cloudflare? etc

The Talk admin page did work for a short time, but now it’s back to blank (both the admin page and the talk page through the browser). I have CloudFlare (but that is being bypassed in my /etc/hosts files locally). I’ve disabled CSF firewall and changed the TURN port. It sparsely works intermittently after some resets of my system and routers, but soon thereafter goes blank again. The error in console I shared earlier is consistent when it’s not working (line 899). Subsequently, it’s the same error and line number for both the admin page and the Talk page.

Talk Page:

Admin Page:

Same error, same line number, different js files.

The code is minified, so it’s impossible to decipher intelligently. I’ve considered cloning the repo but haven’t yet.

Hey you guys!

Sorry for my late response! I have another Update already:

We could solve the problem with the mime types:
we are using Cloudflare in this example and it seems like that the Proxy (enabled because of SSL validation) is not transferring the mime types correctly. By setting an Transform Rule with the following expressions, the error with the mime types disappeared completely.

Still, talk is not loading in our nextcloud web application and is throwing another error:

Though, it seems like a cloudflare proxy problem - by disabling the proxy for this host, everything works fine after some waiting time. I’ll investigate this problem a little bit more further.

Another update after a short time:

It seems like the auto minify feature of cloudflare is not compatible with the current js version used in talk (noticing the hint on this cloudflare feature it was kind of obvious).
By disabling the feature for the whole domain, separately with a page rule to be sure and clearing the cache of cloudflare (caching > configuration > purge cache > purge everything) talk is working now for me.

I am going to monitor this for now and try using talk regularly.