Syncing ot working because Timestamp of sync event is 2 hours in future

Hallo,

I’m testing nextcloud running on my Rock Pi mini computer and observe a strange behavior, when I create a new contact in Thunderbird with Cardbook Add-On.

After syncing the new contact, on the NC website it is declared as 2 hours in future. See lower right corner of this screenshot (“Zuletzt geändert in 2 Stunden”, german for “last changed in 2 hours”).

Ubuntu Linux Server and Client PCs are using different timeformat, so i.e. output of date command is:
Server, running Nextcloud Server: So 19. Apr 09:20:37 UTC 2020
Client, running Thunderbird: So 19. Apr 11:20:39 CEST 2020

So they are in sync, but with different timeformat.

So as you ca imagine, now the whole syncing process is damaged. Changing a contact in the Website of NC is not synced to the client, and local changes on the client overwrite the serversite changes when synced.

So how to fix this while not changing the server to CEST format an neither changing the client to UTC?

Regards

Frank

You will have to fix your time zones.

Dear KarlF12,

no, I don’t think so, because I mean, that setting a server to UTC is nothing special and also to have on the clients site a time zone, that is different from the servers time zone, is nothing special. Think about a Nextcloud server serving a lot of people around the world, from america over europe to asia. Clients in all these different areas will have different time zones while the server has UTC.

Or do you mean something different. Is there something else I have to fix with time zones? Your answer was a bit short and could be misunderstood.

Regards

Frank

I think you’re getting just a little ahead of yourself on the worldwide takeover. You’re supposed to set the server’s time zone correctly, and then let the software handle clients in different time zones.

So:

• What time zone is your server OS configured to use?
  • Is the time on your server correct for the configured time zone?

Dear KarlF12,

timedatectl on Server:
Local time: Mo 2020-04-20 19:22:51 UTC
Universal time: Mo 2020-04-20 19:22:51 UTC
RTC time: Mo 2020-04-20 19:22:51
Time zone: Etc/UTC (UTC, +0000)
System clock synchronized: yes
systemd-timesyncd.service active: yes
RTC in local TZ: no

timedatectl on Thunderbird Client (some seconds later exectuted):
Local time: Mo 2020-04-20 21:25:04 CEST
Universal time: Mo 2020-04-20 19:25:04 UTC
RTC time: Mo 2020-04-20 19:25:04
Time zone: Europe/Berlin (CEST, +0200)
System clock synchronized: yes
systemd-timesyncd.service active: yes
RTC in local TZ: no

So is there any mistake? I do not see the error. Where is it?

Regards
Frank

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.