Syncing old folders, creates conflicts

Nextcloud version (eg, 10.0.2): 11.0.4
Operating system and version (eg, Ubuntu 16.04): Ubuntu 14.04
Apache or nginx version (eg, Apache 2.4.25): Apache 2.4.7
PHP version (eg, 5.6): 7.0.22
Is this the first time you’ve seen this error?: yes

The issue you are facing:

1. user 1 had a folder previously synced. after update of client, the sync is ticked off for that folder due to the size. after a few days, the user notices this and enable’s the sync for that folder.
  2. user 2, who has the folder already synced, cleaned up the folder, renamed files and that sort of things in the mean while.
  3. When user 1 enables the sync again, it sync’s back the already cleaned up files, back to the server from local. and messes up the folder.

imagine this with 50 users…

is this by design? and how can we disable this?

we want to only retreive the files from the server, and not synching back the files that are already moved/deleted/renamed… is there a function which checks on a timestamp or something? or is Nextcloud just not the perfect fit for this?

If you could reproduce this and provide logfiles form both clients and the server when user 1 comes back on - I am sure the developers would greatly appreciate it. Only then there is a chance to fix it.

so this isn’t by design? i think it should help to clean the local folder first. any thougths on that?

unfortunatly i dont have time to wait for the developers, because i have 50 highly active users, and 70 other users.